Friday, December 21, 2012

The world didn't end...

The Mayans were wrong, as were all the doomsday adherents who swore six ways from Sunday that December 21, 2012 would be the planet's last.

Well folks, we're still here. I realize we still have a few hours to go, but please forgive me if I claim premature victory. It's Friday, and I'm feeling giddy.

I'm not one to gloat, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the backtracking tomorrow. It's like when American pastor Harold Camping kept claiming the world was going to end. Then it didn't. So he'd make some excuse, set another date, and then make up a whole new set of excuses when Lucifer once again failed to descend. It was pathetic on one level, yet so embarrassingly entertaining, like watching a Kardashian Christmas.

I accept that the world will always play host to the odd individual who lives a little closer to the edge of the spectrum. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, however, when I realize how many others among us seem to hang on their every word. Maybe we're all doomed, after all.

Your turn: So when's the next big Apocalypse scheduled for? Who's up for a party?

One more thing: Since we're all still here, and still conceivably capable of taking a picture, feel free to share some industrial disease by clicking here. Thematic will continue, end-of-the-world notwithstanding.

7 comments:

Tabor said...

Like you I am worried at the mentality of much of mankind. Is it the water, global warming, or just we are exposed to more folks with serious critical thinking problems? I am hoping it does not happen for centuries or millenniums...but it will happen someday.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

It did end, Carmi. We are just figments of your imagination.
~

Max Sartin said...

Well, according to Warren Jeffs, Utah polygamist currently in jail for marrying a 13 year old girl, it's going to be this Sunday.

dean said...

Hey, Carmi, the day isn't over yet. :) I'm just hoping that if the world ends today, it ends after lunch because I have leftover chicken teriyaki that I am really looking forward to.

fredamans said...

LOL @ Dean....

If the world ends, it will happen fast enough we shouldn't feel much.

Unfortunately I do not for one minute believe we are doomed in my lifetime. I am destined to live out my life to a ripe old age. My life line says so... lol

See you all tomorrow!! (The 22nd)

Alexia said...

It's already midday on the 22nd here, so I guess we're safe :)

Shawn Ohara said...

My alarm didn't go off this morning and I slept in. I thought i missed the end of the world.
This was the worst end of the world ever.