Monday, February 18, 2013

Saying goodbye

Leaving on a jet plane
Vancouver, BC
February 2013
Early morning flights aren't ideal for taking out-the-window pictures of the place you're now leaving. By design, planes need speed to pull themselves into - and hopefully stay in - the sky. By design, rapid motion and low light aren't the photographer's best friend.

Unless, of course, you decide to try something a little different. Which explains this handheld shot of 1/6-second exposure from a fast-moving, jangling aircraft as it lifted off into the early morning gloom.

I'm sure I'll be back here sometime, and probably sooner than I can imagine. But for now, this will have to do as my last glimpse of a place I hope to return to soon. Because I didn't get enough time on the ground to appreciate its charms before I was back in the air again.

Your turn: A place you'd like to revisit. Please discuss.

About this photo: We're winding down our Thematic celebration of speed. Still a bit of time to squeeze your contribution in - just click here - before we launch our new theme, letters, numbers and other characters, tonight at 7 p.m. Eastern.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Hawaii.

It's such a long trip. But great while you're there.

Also: There's some beautiful places in the desert out west I visited as part of my underwriting job. Talk about the middle of nowhere!

Example: Gallup, New Mexico
~

Bernie said...

WS586 YVR-YYZ) by chance?

Why do I say this? A recent post you mentioned you were inbound to YYZ when a passing AC A320 flew by; most likely with a 1000ft separation (or there abouts)... So, you had to get to YYZ one way or the other, right?

You can track which flight it was, showing of course this weeks TP - speed, here... http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA586

(if it is not WS586, swap out the numbers for your particular flight in the link above to discover your height, speed and routing...)

Liam Paul Lahey said...

I've had the pleasure to have lived and worked in gorgeous Vancouver twice in my life. I miss it for many reasons and the second time around (2009-2011), I wish I could've stayed.