Friday, February 01, 2013

Eternal

Sculpted light
London, ON
February 2012

Click here for more soft light Thematic
You're looking at an eternal flame. Walk into the sanctuary of any synagogue and it's pretty much the center of attention.

I've never actually seen any eternal flame go out, so I'm guessing they have some pretty good backup processes in place. But the cynic in me still thinks hanging the word "eternal" on something is a bit of a stretch.

Long-lived flame? Better-than-temporary flame? Sure. But eternal? I don't know about you, but I'm willing to bet if the future me pops back in, oh, 10,000 years, the light won't be on. Indeed, I'm guessing all evidence of the building will be gone, as well.

Forgive me for having a little fun with the concept of eternal. I realize it's just symbolic. And by using the very word, it forces us to think longer-term, bigger-picture. It's more virtual than real. And that was just fine for me on this bright afternoon as I stood underneath this remarkable creation and thought about things bigger than me.

Your turn: What does "eternal" mean to you?

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

Don't find me odd, (words, scents and songs) are strongly connected to my thought process. Eternal is on the good word list-For most but for me, I feel a bitterly sad sense connected to that word at first thought/sight of the word. Possibly began, from my sister's death when I was 12.

21 Wits said...

I forgot to mention how lovely your photo is...especially your capture of true living flame.... very nice, and I too would find peace being near it too!

dean said...

"thought about things bigger than me"

Which I guess is the point, yes?

darlin said...

Eternal... hmmm good question Carmi. I view eternal as long term, very long term and I connect it to the spiritual realm. I also connect this word to love; I will eternally love my children as well as my granddaughter, is this possible? I'm not sure, I haven't crossed all the way over yet, came close, but didn't make it that far... WHEW! ;-)

Excellent shot!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love that photograph with its soft light on hard metal and the sense of some things being eternal... beyond the constraints of time.