Saturday, January 03, 2015

After the fall

All that remains
London, ON
October 2014
Thematic. Favorites of the year. Here.
Gutters can be fascinating places. We tend to ignore these often-scruffy slivers of asphalt that linger, limbo-like, between the sidewalk and the roadway. They seem to collect every scrap of urban messiness, and in doing so almost earn themselves a permanent position below our collective radar.

And yet, if the wind blows just right, and happens to carry the right colors and textures into view for the nanosecond that you happen to be there, looking down, with a camera in your hand, perhaps the moment will be worth capturing.

Because even the ugly ducking gutter can shine like a swan when the stars manage to align just so.

Your turn: Where else should we be looking for unexpected visual treasures?

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

How about the trees? U can see where life starts and ends on trees.. Also u may find a nest...

darlin said...

Hi Carmi, first off I'd like to wish you and your family a blessed and Happy New Year.

Your topic is interesting, it has me thinking where I find treasures to shoot and I can't pick one place or favorite undiscovered spot as the world is a treasure trove, every nook and cranny I'm always finding something to shoot and when it's this cold outside (-20 and not sure what it is with the wind chill) I can find all sorts of treasures indoors to shoot. Now that the coffee is kicking in and I'm thinking, I think that one of my favorites is graffiti, I can shoot just the 'art' or I can use it as a backdrop.

Have a wonderful weekend!