Friday, January 23, 2015

Chatting with CNBC

I've been slacking in the what-I'm-up-to-in-medialand department, and admittedly part of the reason I haven't been sharing much here has been because I've been busy making the fun stuff happen out there.

But I didn't want to miss this one: I was interviewed by Linda Federico-O'Murchu for an article she wrote for CNBC. Here's the link to the piece online:

Why people pick Team Apple versus Team Android

Cool fact: I was quoted opposite Peter Shankman, who founded the Help a Reporter Out (HARO) service and has long been someone I admire.

The technologist in me has always enjoyed these little geeky holy wars that seem to underpin entire industries for years at a time. Once upon a time it was Apple vs. IBM. Then Apple vs. Microsoft. Now Apple/iOS vs. Google/Android. Wait, is there a pattern here? Either way, it all makes me wonder what the next great battle will be.

Oh, so what did I say? Here's my snippet:
Carmi Levy, vice president of marketing at multinational agency Voices.com, also said that user's attachment to the Apple brand transcends the mere device at hand.
"The average consumer doesn't want to know what's going on beneath the hood," Levy said.
Apple is "the rare example of a company that doesn't market itself as a tech company but as a solutions company. They sell the emotional connection with consumers," Levy said. 
"Even though Android sells the vast majority of devices and tablets in the U.S. today, it still doesn't have that psychological hold on consumers to the same degree. Android devices are largely sold on the basis of price, features and performance, not on emotional connection," Levy said.
"You've got to be more tech-savvy, you have to know how the apps work, you have to be comfortable digging into the settings. These are people who are willing to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. It's part of the [Android] game," he said.

1 comment:

Tabor said...

You will remember us when you are so rich and famous that you have been pulled to a totally different blog?