Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Monumental memories

Gone, but not forgotten
Montreal, QC
July 2009
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I shot this on a rainy day in Montreal almost 11 years ago, as my father and I walked through the De la Savane cemetery in search of our extended family members' graves.

He died barely six weeks after this photo was taken, and the photos from that day have become something of a touchstone for me, a dividing line between the chapter where we had him and the chapter where we no longer did.

I don't hold much stock in cemeteries as places where you visit your family members. They're dead. Their bodies may be buried here, but their souls remain alive in all of us - in our memories, and behaviors and traits that we learned from them.

So it doesn't take a trip to a rectangle of prettified earth to connect with them: You can do that anytime. And we honor them by being the best people we can be - which, again, is an anytime, anywhere kind of deal.

And yet cemeteries are resonant places. They make you think. Reflect. Disconnect from the real world so you can hang out in the not-so-real one for a few precious moments. I derive a strange sense of comfort whenever I walk through one.

I'm not sure why I've chosen to share this photo, after over a decade, now. Perhaps it's because today is also rainy. Or maybe amid the turbulence of a world seemingly gone mad I'm subconsciously looking for images, stories, experiences, or memories that anchor me.

Whatever the reason, I think I need to spend more time in places like this, thinking about those who once lived, and who continue to color the lives of those they touched. Because it's always a good time to cling a little more tightly to a memory.

#montreal #quebec #canada #delasavane #cemetery #life #remember #parents #parenthood #throwback #weather #wx #monochrome #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

Related:

No comments: