Monday, July 01, 2019

Casting a giant shadow

Who's a good girl?
London, ON
July 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
She's a small thing - barely topping 15 pounds when she's wearing her natty pink harness - but she casts a mighty long shadow, both in the literal and figurative senses.

She's also an early riser who doesn't seem to understand the difference between 6:30 on a weekday (good) and 6:30 on a weekend (why does she hate us so?)

And yet, it's hard to be upset when a face like this hovers inches above you as the sun's first rays bleed through the edge of the window blinds. I love my sleep as much as anyone - indeed, likely more - but she leads me out the door with the kind of energy that reminds me why life is best lived in motion and not at rest.

I've been stretching her early morning walks out. Originally I was simply trying to tire her out. Note to self: Never going to happen. Now, though, I realize it's more for me than for her. Because exploring paths we've never been lets me sort through the jumble of insanity that's taken over my brain these past few months.

It's time I would have never taken if this little being didn't wake me up at an ungodly hour every day of the week. I'd miss hearing the riot of birds in the woods by the creek. Or feeling the rustle of the breeze through the willows and maples that shade our route. Or feeling the peacefulness of a neighborhood before it's fully awake. These simple, early-morning moments may seem trivial, but now, thanks to her, I appreciate how fundamental they are to a life well lived.

I still like my sleep. But I like my time with her even more. Need it, even.

#Calli #CalliTheSchnauzer #dog #puppy #schnauzerlife #schnauzermini #schnauzerpuppy #minischnauzersofinstagram #schnauzersofinstagram #minischnauzer #miniatureschnauzer #miniatureschnauzers #minischnauzers #schnauzergram #miniatureschnauzersofinstagram #schnauzers #dogsofinstagram #instapuppy #actofdog #pets #shadow #lifeinthargins #family #everything #ldnont #london #ontario #canada @schnauzer_planet @schnauzerworld

No comments: