Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Bloody hell

Oops
London, ON
March 2017
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Sorry for the jarring photo. Sometimes the optimal path is the unconventional one.

I took this three years ago, and while it looks like the aftermath of a bar fight, I assure you I'm not a bar person, and I don't get into fights. Well, unless testy Twitter exchanges with trolls count. Which they don't.

It was a nosebleed. I don't get many of them, but when I do, they're spectacular. So, weirdo-photog that I was - and presumably still am - it needed a random photo.

I forgot the pic almost as soon as I took it, one of those artifacts of the smartphone-photography-digital age that barely registers as a conscious memory before it fades into the dusty corners of an ever-growing archive. We've all got 'em.

But thanks to the magic of Google Photos, it surfaced once again this morning as part of those On-This-Day reminders that now appear helpfully at the top of our feed. Technology being what it is, forced memories have become a thing whether we want them or not.

We'll call this one a want, though, because on this particular morning 3 years after I took bizarro photo, I needed a reminder that some days suck more than others. And someone else always has it worse off than we do.

I'm thankful today didn't start with a nosebleed. I'm even more thankful that I have what I have at a time when so many do not.

Sometimes it takes a freaky old photo to remind us what matters most.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #throwback #blood #bloody #nose #nosebleed #red #white #ohcanada #stilllife #blackberry #priv #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: