Saturday, July 30, 2022

Getting reflective in a sweltering park

There are two sides to every story
Arva, ON
July 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It was a lousy day for photography.

Between muddy light, stifling heat and humidity, and a tiny insect that somehow managed to weasel itself inside my camera, I probably should have bailed before I left the house.

But I went anyway, because there are never enough days to do the things that matter, and it’s always a worthwhile challenge to tease out something workable from a scenario that literally doesn’t want to have its picture taken.

In other words, game on.

So I wandered a quiet neighborhood north of the city and waited for my annoyed brain to be triggered by something. Or anything.

Eventually I found a bench beside a pond, and as I sat there trying - futilely - to resolve my little bug issue, the reflections in the water caught my eye. I had my trigger.

I shot in between the bug wandering into and out of the viewfinder, and in the end I think I managed to bring home a few pixels that justified all the day’s frustration.

The lesson, I think, is a simple one: ignore the voices inside and outside your head that try to prevent you from venturing out. You’ll see things differently when you do, and the journey is always worth it.

Because we never know how many opportunities we’ll be given.

#ldnont #london #arva #ontario #canada #weldonpark #walkabout #forest #tree #trees #water #reflection #texture #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:
Shadows on the water, December 2012

No comments: