Friday, July 29, 2022

You're a berry good bird

Almost lunchtime
Grand Bend, ON
July 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It had been a while since I dug my feet into the sand and chased seagulls across the beach.

So we loaded the car up and took a drive. The weather, um, didn’t cooperate, and we drove through increasingly intense rainstorms almost all the way to the lake. Not my finest weather-predicting hour.

The rains eventually gave way to a grudgingly grey sky. Not a prototypically glorious sunny day, but we reminded ourselves of those two magical words: good enough.

The gulls didn’t seem to care, and eventually I trotted off for a spontaneous action photography session with them by the water.

They didn’t disappoint. And as I madly tried to track them through the sky, I thought about how much fun it was to disconnect from the rest of the world and just do one simple thing in one simple moment, to the exclusion of everything else.

I didn’t realize how much I had missed the singular joy of putting my eye up to the viewfinder and watching birds do their thing.

They may be the scavengers of the sky, but their power to light up the souls of strangers is as unmatched as it’s ever been.

#grand #bend #grandbend #ontario #canada #beach #great #lake #huron #bird #birds #gull #seagull #flight #sky #summer #wildlifephotography #animal #nature #naturephotography #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #photooftheday #picoftheday #pictureoftheday #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:
My father's pelican, December 2019
Two birds, one sky, January 2018
Headed out to sea, January 2018
High-g turn, January 2018
The Pelican Brief, January 2018
Big beak, setting sun, January 2018
Bird on a...car, December 2012
On curved wings, February 2011
Caption This 80, July 2008


No comments: