Sunday, August 21, 2005

A day of parties

Our worldly five-year-old, Noah, had two birthday parties today. So precisely scheduled was he that I had them both entered into my PalmPilot, complete with alarms and instructions of what to bring to each one. My wife packed a knapsack with everything we needed to navigate the celebratory day.

I hung out with my little man and his minions for pretty much the entire day. The first party, a relaxing couple of hours in a backyard pool followed by pizza and cake, gave way to a somewhat more frenetic one involving a huge, crowded splashpad, a not-so-huge patio in the baking sun, and, oh yes, the requisite pizza and cake.

He fell asleep on the way home, waking up as we turned into the driveway so that he could tell Mom all about his exciting day.

Today's photo paints a picture of our thoughtful little guy. In the midst of the hubbub, he somehow found the time to look out at the flowers. What I'd give to know what he was thinking as I tripped the shutter on this one.

Please click the picture to see the larger, full-resolution version.

Your turn: What constitutes a good day when you're five years-old? Do you remember any particularly outstanding days from your own childhood?

While you're mulling that over, I'm tucking in for a nap of my own. Spending an entire day surrounded by little people is pretty exhausting. I know I should know this by now - and I do - but days like this remind me just how tiring the process can be. And rewarding; I wouldn't change a thing.

12 comments:

kenju said...

I remember a family reunion when I was 5-6 years old; held at my great-grandparent's farm. There were so many people there, many of whom I had never met. But my cousins and I had a great time climbing to the haylofts in the barns, feeding the chickens, playing tag through the cornfields and wading in the creek. Wonderful memories.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Beach, sunshine, and play.

Anonymous said...

I think every day for a five-year old is a good day, because back then there just seemed to be oodles of time for anything and everything.

But for me, lots of paper, pencils, crayons and markers and a quiet spot to create was heaven. And of course, my collection of books, too.

srp said...

Making mudpies under the carport and putting them in the sun to dry. Jumping out of the apple tree and rolling down the side of the little hill by the house. Riding my 26in bike with the plastic handlebar streamers blowing, pretending to be on a great racehorse. Can I be a kid again?

Jill said...

Waking up early on a Saturday morning and putting on my favorite pink dress...which I loved to wear while I watched my favorite cartoons. AquaMan, Gigantor, HR Puff N' Stuff, Wonderama, Casper the Ghost.

Misti said...

A morning spent with coffee (for me) and milk(for him) and us sitting out back talking. Just the two of us. Doesn't happen very often but i love it when it does.
I remember getting lost when I was 5, very scarey.

Kim said...

For me it would have been a day with my grandfather, playing boardgames, counting pennies he'd saved for me, and eating ice cream.

Suzanne said...

I know for our five year old...a good time must consist of some sort of food, preferably something sweet. Cardboard boxes are good too.

Suzanne said...

oh yes...and Happy birthday to the cutie pie!

Star said...

Did you ever think that a good Saturday for you would entail being social secretary/chauffer to a 5 year old? Good luck with the new column.

Heather said...

I loved to stay in the pool all day when I was that age. I also loved to play in my grandparent's back yard.

I simply adore that photo.

Diane said...

I love seeing life through your eyes, Carmi. Your words are always so thoughtful, and your pictures bring your words to life and give them extra depth.

This is a wonderful picture and it seems so real. His hair looks so soft in the sunlight I feel as though I could reach out and touch it and feel it.

Thank you, once again, for touching me with your art.