Sunday, December 11, 2005

Let them eat...


I despise most birthday and anniversary cakes for the same reason that I hate marshmallows: too sweet. But that doesn't mean I won't pull out a camera and take a closeup picture of the icing on the side. I don't eat seafood, either, but that doesn't stop me from harassing the lobster tank at the supermarket (more on that in a future blog entry.)
Oops, I'm drifting off-topic. Sorry. Sunday evening brain fade. Let's realign, shall we?
This picture represents my somewhat lopsided way of looking at an otherwise forgettable item of food - which in a few short days will transform itself into a stale hunk at the back of the fridge.

Pity my wife for putting up with this kind of thing at mealtime. She never knows when I'll become intrigued by another element of the mundane, and she is ever gracious when trying to explain my obsession to friends and acquaintances. We've learned that some people kinda get it, and others kinda don't.

Your turn: Would you risk the strange glances of friends and family to take pictures like this? If you were the one holding the camera, do you think the end result would be worth the potential embarrassment? Should I find a new way to express my creativity?

Technical note: Click on the image to open up a higher-resolution version.

16 comments:

Panthergirl said...

Hahahaha... you're definitely asking the wrong person! I have pictures of napkins and utensils from eating in a diner, my glass of iced tea, etc. ...

Here by way of Michele, and now I'm hungry for chocolate cake! Thanks a lot!! ;)

Anonymous said...

When I made a picture of mom's pie at Thanksgiving she said, "What in the world is the matter with you? Why are you taking that?". Of course when she saw it on the blog she said, "Well didn't my pie look good?".

Someone did a good job icing that. Did you notice how perfect the lines were?

Shannon said...

Uh, Carmi, there is NO SUCH THING as "too sweet."

I would absolutely take photos like this (and have).

Christine said...

Oh yes, strange looks wouldn't stop me from getting the shot I wanted. (Although I will admit, I don't often get the urge to break out my camera at the supermarket. :) I have often laid down on the ground to get just the right angle.

Sandy said...

First, I've yet to find something "too sweet" for my sweet tooth. I supposed I'd be better off if I had. ;)

Second, I think this is a fantastic way to express your creativity. This comes from someone accustomed to rolling eyes when I break out my camera, so take it for what it's worth.

Tammy said...

Oh geez, now I'm HUNGRY!

My hubby takes pictures like that all the time, so you wouldn't faze me a bit. He took a picture of a box of raisins once, I never did figure that one out! Since he got his new camera, he's clicking at everything. :)

Michele sent me...this time!

YellowRose said...

I like to take pictures of whatever suits my fancy! And that cake looks really good!!! :)

Here via Michele's!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

You may not like all that yummy chocolate looking stuff, but YOU took a photo of it and YOU'VE gi]ot my mouth watering...NOT FAIR!!!!
I ain't got no cake or chocolate! WAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm here from Michele and I LOVE that photograph more than I can say! Thanks for allowing me to eat vicariously..no calories that way!

srp said...

Here from Michele.

Regular shots don't seem to get noticed much. Try to take a macro though, all those weird positions one must assume and trying to keep out of the light so a shadow doesn't form, and if the subject is say a plastic razor, Hershey's Kiss, a marble, or a Christmas light....then how to explain. I was wondering how you explained that chocolate icing on the rim of your lens? :)

kenju said...

Yes, I'm hungry too, Carmi. That cake looks good to me.

Nothing is off limits for a good photo, and you should not have to apologize for your art.

Jill Homer said...

If you zoomed in even closer, it might look like the Grand Canyon.

craziequeen said...

mmmmmm chocolate.....

[dribble]

cq

Unknown said...

My friends and family are use to this type of behavior. To the point of suggesting I whip the camera out and start clicking.

Keep expressing yourself this way - it's enjoyable for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!

edina monsoon said...

For lunch...I'm going to have a piece of cake.( thanks to your picture) I have no qualms taking NICE pictures at the cost of embarrasing self. A small price to pay. Borrowed my dad's canon...which takes great pictures without the offending flash and snapped away in shops. Pity I had to give it back to him at the end of the day.

Prego said...

I should post some of my gems... though my subjects are usually people. I was thinking of taking shots of people eating. There are a lot of restaurants nearby. I think it'd be interesting to see some of the mid-bite faces. Nobody looks good with a fork headed towards a gaping yap.


Here from Michele today again :)