Deerfield Beach, Florida, December 2007
Three-and-a-half months after suffering a seriously broken leg, our son Zach took off his air cast and gingerly ventured onto the beach. He was afraid of what might happen, fearful of reinjuring himself in the surf. But after we encouraged him to give it a try, he followed us into the water and realized it was time to start his recovery in earnest.
It's been just over a year since I captured this image, yet every time I look at it, I think of how powerfully it represents a new start for him, an opportunity to shed the shackles and take on the world once more. It's an appropriate kickoff image, I think, for this week's Thematic Photographic theme, "new".
New can mean so many things to us, depending on how we choose to look at the word. Over the next week, I hope you have fun exploring the theme and sharing what you've come up with.
Your turn: Got any pictures in your archives - or in your head - that scream "new" and are just begging to be shared? Click the Comment link below and have fun. If you're new to the game, read on for info on how this thing works:
- Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
- Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...new.
- You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
- You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
- If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
- You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
- Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
- And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.