Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Thematic Photographic 31 - New


Baby steps
Deerfield Beach, Florida, December 2007

Three-and-a-half months after suffering a seriously broken leg, our son Zach took off his air cast and gingerly ventured onto the beach. He was afraid of what might happen, fearful of reinjuring himself in the surf. But after we encouraged him to give it a try, he followed us into the water and realized it was time to start his recovery in earnest.

It's been just over a year since I captured this image, yet every time I look at it, I think of how powerfully it represents a new start for him, an opportunity to shed the shackles and take on the world once more. It's an appropriate kickoff image, I think, for this week's Thematic Photographic theme, "new".

New can mean so many things to us, depending on how we choose to look at the word. Over the next week, I hope you have fun exploring the theme and sharing what you've come up with.

Your turn: Got any pictures in your archives - or in your head - that scream "new" and are just begging to be shared? Click the Comment link below and have fun. If you're new to the game, read on for info on how this thing works:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...new.
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
  • And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.

21 comments:

Karen said...

Great photo and a great new start for your son! See my new here!

Mojo said...

This photo can say "new" in so many ways. A new day, a wave that washes the sand smooth and new again... everything wiped clean, ready for a new start. Awesome as always, Carmi.

This isn't the shot I first thought of when I saw the prompt for this week, but it does have the virtue of having already been taken. Which is helpful when I'm trying to get several other things ready. And in retrospect, it says "new" on a much more global scale than what I initially thought of. So, submitted for approval I bring you:
Thematic Photographic 31: "New" v.1.0 - New on New (on New)

Julie said...

This is my first time entering this so hope this is where I post my link.

http://julia-myphotojourney.blogspot.com/2009/01/thermatic-photographic-new.html

I love the photo of your sons first tentative steps. Perfect place to take him to get over the fear of running and playing by the way.

awareness said...

Great theme....and wonderful picture. It's hard to believe it's been a year since Zach had his cast removed! Where does the time go??

here is my "take" on the theme. I hope you enjoy it.

http://mayfairplace.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-learning.html

Linda said...

Well, my "new" is up without even trying, since my new is the house...so come and read:

http://fifenhorn.blogspot.com

me said...

Every time I see "feet" I think of new, destinations, directions. Endless possibilities. Mine up hope you enjoy
http://spottychop.blogspot.com/2009/01/thematic-photographic-31-new.html

Skylar said...

Ok, I`m NEW to this! so this is my participation this week :)

http://skylar-scarlet.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I've got some "new" going on at my blog: new magazine layout and new goals for a new year. :-)

bobbie said...

Yours is an excellent choice of picture.

I posted mine last week. You'll have to go down a few posts to look for it now, but it's there.

All This Trouble... said...

I'm back in the saddle, too! More camera phone images. I'd hoped to get a new camera during the holidays but alas...

http://allthistroublejusttoleaveacomment.blogspot.com/2009/01/debut.html

Mamapippa ... said...

New, a great theme for the start of a Happy New Year !

http://mamapippaphotography.skynetblogs.be/post/6604435/nieuw-leven----

Doublebanker said...

Good photo, alway a relief to get a cast off!

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

What a precious shot. I remember that apprehensiveness of walking on a freshly de-casted foot.

I stumbled upon a 'new' photo I took just a couple of days ago.

Sparkly new snow

Meredith said...

Hello Carmi, I had to quit my old blog and start a new one. So from now on, the 3-rivieres lady will be known as Meredith

this is my NEW blog :)

http://whatsheneedsis.blogspot.com/

I used the same picture for this week thematic.

oneblessedmamma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~j said...

Great shot....my daughter was terrified when her cast came off (she was 4).

my "new" is here.

Barbara said...

I think I am back in the swing of things finally, so here is my "new" post. Carmi, I think you will like this --- it has a Naval theme.

oneblessedmamma said...

Okay, let's try this again with a working link, LOL. Here's my take on "New".
GO HERE

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi. Happy new year to you. And of course you've chosen the perfect theme this week. What a great story about your boy and his leg. I remember my own broken leg so many years ago and having those very same fears about its renewal post-cast.

Here's my take on "new."

Mel Fraase said...

Here's my "new" - thanks for running Thematic Photographic, it's great!!

http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2008/01/thematic-photographic-new.html

Anonymous said...

buy wow gold,cheap wow gold,power wow power leveling,Buy wow gold.world of warcrft gold.