Thursday, January 08, 2009

Welcoming the new day


Sunrise, reflected.
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2008 [Click to enlarge]

About this photo: As part of Thematic Photographic this week, we're exploring "new". What does new mean to you? I hope you'll be able to answer with a picture - or many pictures! Please click here to see the kickoff entry. I look forward to seeing what you've got!
Every year we've gone to Florida, I've talked about heading to the beach and catching a sunrise. And every year, it's remained just that: talk. I guess when you're on vacation, the last thing you want to do is drag yourself out of bed at 6 a.m. and head out in the dark.

This year, my wife insisted that I follow through. She also volunteered to join me, and wouldn't take no for an answer. Bless her.

So there we were, heading out in the pre-dawn murk, parking on a deserted beachfront street and planting lawn chairs into the cold sand. On the way there, I told her how little I cared about capturing the quintessential sunrise picture. Maybe I'm changing as I get older, but I no longer feel compelled to return home with a specific picture of anything. I get what I get, and whatever it is, it is. Just being beside her was enough for me.

So as you can see from the photo above, I didn't shoot a conventional view. I liked how the sun reached across the water. Wherever we sat, that reflection pointed at us. Never mind that shooting directly into the sun was photographically futile. It also didn't reflect how I felt that morning.

You feel small when you're on a quiet beach with someone who matters more to you than you've ever been able to express. You start thinking about what it all means, about why you're lucky to be in that place at that moment. You know there's a real world behind the beach that's just filled with all kinds of sadness and strain. You know you'll have to get off the beach at some point and deal with it all. But for now, it's enough to appreciate the moment for what it is: perfect.

Your turn: A moment that you'll remember. Please discuss.

16 comments:

bobbie said...

this is a very lovely photo. reflections on water are always fascinating.

kenju said...

My sentiments exactly. On a beach, viewing the vast ocean; thinking about what lies beyond..... it's a perfect time. I looked in my photo files to see what I might have for the theme "new" and the only one I have is also a dawn photo at the beach, but not so nice as yours. I think I'll keep mine for another theme.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

the gilt coated water is beautiful here, Carmi. Hope you are having a great 2009.
I have never been able to catch a sunrise on a vacation unless we happen to be on road at that point in time.......there's just no way I can drag myself out of bed that early when we sleep only at wee hours of night (or shall I say morning) during vacations.........:)

spwriter said...

The cool thing about moments like this is that with a little creativity, you can revisit them whenever you want.

In this case, all you have to do is set up the lawn chairs in the living room, throw a "sounds of the ocean" CD in the stereo, turn down the thermostat, have a seat next to your wife, reach for her hand...and close your eyes.

Note: This works best when the kids are still sleeping.

Thanks as always for painting such beautiful pictures with your words. Oh, and the ones you capture with your camera aren't half bad either.

Vodka Mom said...

I think that one of my favorite places on earth is near the water. It just touches me deep in my soul.

Sarah said...

So soothing. I can hear the waves.

Snaggle Tooth said...

In your reflected ripples I see infinite...
You have very interesting perspective- n you know how lucky you are.

There is no substitute for the awe of the actual experience of the place- the space, the sound, the wind, the movement. I felt that way today at the water's edge. I don't feel alone because the Creator is right there-

The best part is knowing when you look at the pic you took again, you'll remember how good it felt!

Anonymous said...

I love the golden light in the reflections. There is magic in a moment like this.

Marion said...

Happy New Year! I like how you've taken the photo of the sunrise reflecting off the water...it's serene and fascinating, all at the same time.

It's the quiet moments like these that lift my heart.

photowannabe said...

It (life) is really about those we love and not about Stuff.
I can stand anything when I have my family's loving support right there beside me.
Beautiful sunrise and worth your effort Carmi.

MorahMommy said...

It was a beautiful experience. You have talked about doing this on and off for the last 11 years.

Recently life has shown us that you have take each moment because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

It was a joy to experience that with you. Was it hard to get up at six? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Definitely!

It makes me smile when I think of our special day that started with the sunrise.

Mojo said...

Do I even need to discuss my feelings about the ocean and everything associated with it? No, I didn't think so. And what you've captured here is the very reason why I feel that way. Never mind being on vacation -- or not -- dragging myself out of bed at sunrise ... well, I'm not a fan. Unless I'm at the beach that is. I may not make it down to the strand itself for the Grand Opening, but there's something about the sun making its entrance for the day over the vastness of the ocean that can even make me excited to be up that early.

Shooting it straight on is tricky, but not what I'd call "futile". You gotta be careful about it for sure, but it's do-able. I'm glad you didn't though. The water gives "shape" to the light, making it unpredictable and amorphous... and compelling.

swilek said...

Beautiful!

awareness said...

Watching the sunrise or the sunset I believe help us settle into a frame of mind where we can live and appreciate those "in the moment" feelings inside us. There is nothing quite like sitting on the beach with the one you love soaking up the grandeur of it...

the sense of feeling so small is humbling and affirming all at the same time. I'm longing to get to a beach now! I'll have to hold tight for a bit and enjoy the winter sunrise from my living room.

Like snowflakes, they are all unique miracles.

me said...

May you always feel that way.

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

beautiful! peaceful!
there's just so much beauty in nature...and when you happen to BE THERE for a sunrise or sunset...it seems to just captivate you...
as you have done on film!!

love it...as always...i enjoy all your photos...and words... :]