Monday, January 26, 2009

Seeing things in rock. Next Geraldo.

Do you see what I see?
Deerfield Beach, FL
December 2008
[
Click all images to embiggen]


Continuing this week's surprise theme - and building on the I-see-things-in-the-rock storyline I started here - I wanted to share these two images captured while I was at the beach.

At regular intervals, the powers-that-be have installed these large piles of rock (yes, I'm so geologically precise) to, I guess, prevent beach sand erosion and give naughty teenagers a really painful place to make out.

Quick pause for a bit of edumacation: Because I play a journalist on television, I looked it up. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection's (FDEP) Bureau of Beaches and Coastal Systems has something called the Beach Erosion Control Program, or BECP (say it 10 times fast...go!) For more background on this, click here. Kinda puts a new spin on that beef burrito you left in the sand after your last game of drunken hacky sack. End pause.

In the late afternoon sun, you see things in the rock faces that you just wouldn't see earlier. (Please, no drinking jokes. I stuck to juice that day.) Next time I'm there, I think I need to eyeball every last rockpile from one end of the beach to the other. Maybe not.

Your turn: Do you see anything in this pic? Do you see two things? Are your eyes hurting from squinting so much? Should I stop this now?

17 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Cow

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Yep, definitely bovine. :D

Mel Fraase said...

Yep, cow. And try as I might, once I saw that I couldn't see anything else!

Katney said...

Do you mean something other than that evil looking face?

If that's what you mean then if I enlarge it I see the salt crystals.

Bernie said...

Holy Cow Batman, I see dead ... COWS!!!

kenju said...

I see ET....phoning home.

Pamela said...

A.L.F.

bobbie said...

First thing I saw was a cow. But after staring a while, I saw some smaller things, including a baby.

Anonymous said...

My first impression was a frightened horse or a mid evil dragon head. But then cow fits too!

Good to hear from you Carmi. I haven't gotten around to much lately. I have enjoyed hearing about your themes though!

Anonymous said...

Cow. But dig deeper into that nostril (no, not like THAT) and you'll see the right one is a skull. Go look. I'll wait.

Anonymous said...

I see a cow's head and she is eating...glad to know I am not the only one who saw a cow!

awareness said...

Hey Mr. rock face Rorschach.....I see a crazy mad cow.

MorahMommy said...

I see a cow!

Anonymous said...

I see a cow ;-)

Mojo said...

Eet Mor Chikin!

Well... you did ask...

Jennifer said...

At first glance I saw a tiny skull, then I looked at the whole picture, and saw a cow.

kenju said...

I see ET - but no cow.