Monday, January 05, 2009

Is this thing on?


Rolling in
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2008 [Click to make tidal]


A couple of weeks after deciding to make this my first truly unplugged vacation in, well, ever, I'm faced with the daunting task of reconnecting with the real world. It's not going well.

Since getting home late Saturday night, we've wrestled with the inevitable fatigue associated with a consistent - and delightful - lack of structure. But the fridge and pantry needed to be filled, the suddenly inoperative microwave needed to be replaced and the kids needed to be made ready for school. The real world doesn't take vacations, so when you decide to get away, you inevitably pay for it when you get back. Karma.

I learned many things during this journey, much of which I'll share in the days and weeks ahead. There's so much to say...

Some quick housekeeping: Thematic Photographic returns on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. The theme will be (indeed, is, since I announced it last week before I decided to park the laptop for the rest of the trip) "new". Caption This returns next Sunday with an all-new entry. I know I slacked off while I was away. But now that I'm back, I'm glad I did. I need to become more comfortable letting things go every once in a while so that the rest of me can breathe. I know it made a difference to my family to have me there in spirit as well as in body. In the end, it was good for my soul to ditch anything not related to the here and now. I'm only sorry I didn't figure it out sooner. Oh well...life's a learning experience, right?

Your turn: Sitting on the sand watching the waves roll into shore. What does this moment feel like to you?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

It feels like "sloppy calm"...if that makes sense. A wonderful and inspiring place to sit and imagine. Stopping by to say "HI"...quite some time has passed, eh? Take care, and best wishes for 2009.

Bernie said...

Glad to see that you're back, and welcome to 2009!

Can't wait until the next TP, as I already have something in mind!!!

Talk soon...

kenju said...

When I am on the beach, I am always reminded of eternity. It seems that the waves rolling in has gone on for many centuries and God willing, they will continue for many more.

Don't apologize for going off the bloggy machinery, Carmi! You needed it!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was sitting on the shore watching those waves. That's the problem with actually LIVING in Florida, it gets hard to fit the beach into your everyday schedule.

I also just came back from vacation, altho we didn't go anywhere. 11 lovely days off from work....and am I EVER paying for it. I may never dig my way out!

BTW....a friend of my husband's from Canada was totally confused as to how I know you. Apparently, his sister or someone knows you. Probably in real life. :) The blogosphere can be such fun!

torontopearl said...

It isn't just about sitting on the sand watching the waves. It's about sitting barefooted, with toes digging deep into the cool sand, and my sifting the sand through my fingers. It would be about 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., and I'd sit there watching the colours of the sky change with the oncoming sunset. Just a wonderful, calming escape...

sealaura said...

invigorating! The sea provides me with a certain strength and courage.

swilek said...

Heaven! Sorry, I can't come up with a more creative word. It really is a speechless moment for me sitting at the ocean. I LOVE the smell of the salt air , the feel of the salt air on my face and the residue it leaves in my hair. I love the sound of the crashing waves. It is relaxing for me and takes me to another place where I forget about my present world. I LOVE breathing in the ocean air. I also love a quiet beachfront with not many people around!!!

Christine Gram said...

I'm going through exactly the same thing and feel like I just forcibly barfed out my last post, simply in effort to get back into the swing of things.

Happy 2009!

awareness said...

Ocean waves restore my belief in the eternal.

Welcome back....

me said...

It reminds me of the time my parents took my brother and I to Maui. The day after we got there we woke up around 4 or 5 am and all decided to go for a swim. it is one of my fondest memories.

Anonymous said...

It feels like peace returning. So funny you threw this scenario out there. You caused me to take a mental journey to that beach...watching the waves, zoning out to all but the beach themed sensations. I realy needed that tonight, thanks Carmi.

Robin said...

I too find it so very hard to completely unplug and remain in the here and now, but beaches and water go a long way towards helping me. My own personal heaven is sitting on a beach at the end of the day watching the waves roll in.

Welcome back, and I hope the reentry smoothes out soon.

Mojo said...

I must've missed the theme announcement, but I think I can handle "new". Actually, an idea just came to mind this very second.

Onward. I don't think it'll surprise anyone to hear me say I love this shot. My fondness for things oceanic is nothing if not well documented. But you've gotten a different quality in the light on the water/foam than I normally do. I suspect that's explained by the time of day.

As big a fan as I am of the night, there's a sens of promise conveyed here that you can only get from the breaking of dawn.

And I can only imagine (with a slight twinge of envy) how it was to take in this sight with someone special.

I'm wishing nothing but the best and brightest for the denizens of Casa Levy in this brand new year.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Mostly I walk the sand these days. Too cold to sit. I do that in the summer when I'm getting ready for a plunge in the heat, n after the plunge to dry a few minutes before getting back to the have-tos.

I feel the pull of the tide, look for nearby watercraft, watch the birds, forget all my troubles, n feel life around me.