Sunday, January 25, 2009

Caption This 105

Please caption this image
[Click here for Caption This instructions]
Deerfield Beach, FL
January 2009

About this photo: We're exploring surprise-themed pictures all week long in support of Thematic Photographic. If you've got a photo that just kinda happened out of nowhere, I hope you'll click here and share it with us. But first, we caption...
There's something innately sad about an old television. So when we pulled into the parking spot late at night and saw this formerly miraculous piece of technology sitting unplugged and alone in front of the faded garage door, my heart gave a little pull as I made a mental note to capture it the next morning.

Tomorrow came and before I knew it, we heard the garbage truck rumble down the street. I scrambled outside, barefoot, camera in hand, and waved at the very friendly garbageperson. He smiled back and bowed graciously as he asked what I use my camera for, where I share my pictures and what I prefer to shoot. We chatted animatedly - an amazing thing, this spontaneous connection with total strangers - and he offered to position the crane just so for the perfect shot.

I got the shot. And a memory of a unique individual that won't soon fade.

Your turn: Please suggest a caption for this photo. Play as often as you like, and feel free to be as creative, funny or poignant as you wish. Anything goes! For more background on how Caption This works, please click here. Can't wait to see what y'all come up with this week!

About last week's photo of a forgotten gas pump: I wish I could have spent more time in this place. I don't know why broken down urban architecture fascinates me so. I'm not morbid or perpetually depressed. I simply find that my mind races when I'm immersed in landscapes like this. Thanks for indulging my slightly out-there passion. Oh, almost forgot this week's honorable menschens (slap!) Here we go...
  • Terri: "It's been a gas."
  • Awareness: "Out of gas."
  • David's "Drive like its only $1.999!" and Terri's "Fill'er up like it's 1999" (both so Prince-like!)
  • Christine Gram: "Busted."
Pamela takes it with "Fossil Fuel." Those two words sum up how I felt as I quietly wandered this ruined patch of the planet. I hope whoever takes over this property turns it into something a little friendlier for the rest of us.

Pamela is a grandma who lives in the U.S. northwest and never fails to provoke thought on her blog, The Dust Will Wait. I find her an absolute delight to read, and am sure you will, too.

36 comments:

craziequeen said...

oh, I'm so bad at these, Carmi! :-(

Great photo, btw - love what you and your garbageperson cooked up for our delight!

um....

'The analogue is dead - long live the digital!'

Came here from Netchick to say hello, my dear :-)

cq

G. Harrison said...

WALL*E's big brother spots a free lunch.

There is such a thing as a free lunch. Urrp.

They taste better in colour.

Carmi, keep well.

Gord H.

Pamela said...

On this snowy morning - I got a little bit of sunshine from you! Thank you Carmi.

I always enjoy your posts -- even if I don't stop and say something poignant

Anonymous said...

Having been beaten at Pong one too many times, Johnny-five decided to end the battle once and for all.

Steve Guttenberg

Hilary said...

In the 1990's situation comedy character, Dr. Frasier Crane grabs television ratings.

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi!
Thanks for the mention!
Nothing is coming to my mind for this one yet.
Terri

Bobkat said...

Hey Carmi, All I can think of is "The television show was so bad extreme measures were required to show the depth of the critics feelings" :)

Terri said...

I want my MTV!

Moon said...

Great photo, I think I would call it, "Distruction of an icon in High Definition" lol

mo.stoneskin said...

That shot is beautiful. Timeless.

You could give it the caption

"Death"

kenju said...

Banish the depictor of trash!


From trash thou comest and to trash thou shalt return!

Anonymous said...

I saw the world on the t.V. screen
I saw what was ,
and what might have been
I looked to tomorrow
and back to yesterday
I watched the news as it went astray
I watched society devolve in half hour shows
why the tragedy received a laugh track no one knows
people watched as if they were drugged
I pray it stops
now that it is unplugged.

Jerry Springer

Tony Gasbarro said...

"OM! Nom, nom, nom...."

Pamela said...

Are You My Mother?

Pamela said...

Tv-Rex
(grrrrrrowl)

Cloudia said...

"an amazing thing, this spontaneous connection with total strangers" Resonant.

Great point - great post!
Can't wait to see the captions. Aloha

spwriter said...

Reality television really bites.

TV: dinner

"Mom, can I watch TV?"
"Sure. Just look out the front window."

TV violence is getting out of hand.

McGuyver has finally met his match.

Now that's TV worth watching!

"Move the jaws a little to the left...a little more. Nope, still not a very good picture. Damn, the antennas for this new digital signal sure are cumbersome to work with."

Sara said...

The Ice Age is long gone and soon to the the Television Age as well

Sara said...

T-V phone home

Sara said...

proving the need to learn to read!

Sara said...

"but mom no one has a tv like that anymore, please can we crush it?"

Carina said...

Upgrading with Joy

BlouKous said...

Love the fact that you made the photo happen. I'm terrible at getting out there and interacting with the scene if it's not quite right. Call me lazy, call me chicken...

David Edward said...

"Blow up yer TV" John denver.

photowannabe said...

Love this picture Carmi. Its original and I wish I could come up with titles or quotes but my brain is a bit befuddled at the moment.

Daryl said...

You put in a quarter and you get to pick anything you want .. I'm aiming for that TV ...


Carmi .. Deerfield Beach? My late parents condo is in Deerfield Be!

David Edward said...

i am happy to be a 'mensch' en
Gracias Amigo

Thumper said...

Thirty seconds and one crunch to having a flat screen TV...

awareness said...

OK, if you don't know this children's book this caption is going to fall flat. But honest to God it was the first thought I had when I looked at that photo...

Are You My Mother?

tell me you know the book....about the little lost bird and the Snork?

MorahMommy said...

There really is only trash on tv!

Snaggle Tooth said...

You're not the brightest tube on the block- you're burnt out!

Mel Fraase said...

Hmm.. I've beeb pondering all week. Great photo!
Let's see:

Hello February 2009!

Return the remote or the TV gets it!

Sara said...

all those years of playing video games with joysticks came in handy after all!

rashbre said...

It looks like some kind of installation art. You could probably send a copy to the Modern Tate for display.
rashbre

Anonymous said...

"Overkill your TV"

kenju said...

Another one bites the dust...

BTW: we have one sitting in the garage. It weighs 120 lbs. and no one wants it. :-(