Sunday, August 10, 2008

Caption This 83


Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]

San Francisco, CA, July 2008 [Click to enlarge]

Quick note: This photo continues this week's Thematic Photographic theme, patterns. Please click here if you'd like to participate.
I'd like to share another image from my recent trip to San Fran. This one was taken from my hotel room window. I felt as if I was watching a little mini-play play out as this couple slowly came together from opposite sides of the square. I guess this makes me a bit of a voyeur.

But what would you call this photo? Stick with me...

Your turn: Please suggest a caption or a title for this photo. Use your imagination - the weirder, the better - and feel free to submit as many as you wish. I encourage promiscuous captioners!

About last week's photo of a homeless gentleman: I felt an immense sadness as soon as I took this photo. I could capture a scene with my lens, but I was powerless to actually do anything about it. Such is the limit of photography, I guess. So many of you shared very poignant captions, including these Honorable Menschens:
  • Barbie2be: "Trying to get by."
  • Judy: "No vehicles, and not much future."
  • Canadian Mark: "This looks like the bottom, it's all up from here."
  • Steve: "Broken-carted" and "Remains of the day."
  • Gordon: "Love me for who I am, not what you'd like me to be."
  • Terri: "Survivor: San Francisco."
  • Jacie: "Grace under pressure."
Awareness takes it this week with her very evocative "Seeking change." She's a fellow Canadian and a brilliant observer of life, whether through her lens or with her pen. Please drop by her blog and send your best...I promise you'll be hooked.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

At first glance I had two things go through my mind: abstract piano keyboard and the flashing lights on the side of a spaceship. This is not to say I have seen a spaceship! Actually, the one in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". And with the couple together on the bench, I call this one "Close Encounters".

spwriter said...

Long distance relationship.

A trip of a thousand miles is forgotten in a kiss.

The beginning of happily ever after.

"Cue the rain."

Held in a moment.

Hopeful, romantic.

In my dreams...

[Okay, that last one was just for me. Thanks for the menschens, Carmi.]

Unknown said...

"You say Potato and I say Potatto!" :D)

Have a great week, Carmi!

D.O.M. Dan said...

"So close, and yet so far"

Jacie said...

"I didn't realise this was what you meant when you said you'd see me in 'ell...."

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi!

"Of all the gin joints in all the world..."

"Here's lookin' at you."

"When Harry met Sally."

"Stay tuned!"

"The benchmark of their affair."
(You had to expect that one.)

Terri

Treehugger said...

The vacuum of space...

Nestor Family said...

Meeting on the Square(s)

Geometric heART

City Smooch

This photo is lovely. Seems like it should be an artsy addition to someone's engagement photos or something.

Mojo said...

There are so many different things that could be going on here it's difficult to know which path to go down. The body language is pretty intimate, but it's robbed of context by the distance. What's actually being said here?

Some possibilities...

"Love what you've done with the place!"

"Good news! My test results are back."

"Amazing... a man who actually asks for directions."

"That party was tonight wasn't it?"

"What was your name again?"

"That'll cost you an extra hundred."
(Hey, this is San Francisco, hai na?)

With apologies to Dave Grohl and The Foo Fighters...
"We'll live happily ever trapped if you just save my life"
(Borrowed from "Learn to Fly")

And a personal favorite lyric (you don't have to get it).
"Dheere dheere ban jaaye na koi kahani"
(Stories are created on such nights)

And from the same film,
"If the ending isn't happy, then the movie isn't over yet."

(The last two borrowed from Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om)

Kingfisher said...

"What's a rabbit got to do with it?"

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

love, love , love this shot!!!!
as for caption, all i can think of is the song "baby, can i hold you tonight". Trite, i know..but that's all i can think of right now.......:)

awareness said...

Hey Carmi. Why you've made my week! thank you for the wonderful comments and the WIN!! oooo weeee!

As for this week's? I see them saying goodbye after a night of secret passion.

Merciful Melancholy

Holding onto the present for one more moment.

Sad surrendering at Dawn's Honesty

A Long Goodbye

Bernie said...

"Nothing is ever 'Black & White', but love is always shades of Grey"

I get this as almost all of the pavinging is differing shades of Grey, which is much the same as love... We 'love' some types of food; we Love to go to places, and we Love our family. All signs of Love, but all have a differnt meaning (of sorts), thus the 'Shades of Grey'!

barbie2be said...

watching love

Carli N. Wendell said...

Tetris on a larger scale

G. Harrison said...

If there was a mike under the bench this is what I'd like to hear if i was in the mood for romance or drama:

"You missed the last train."

"I'll only be gone a year."

If comedy:

"No. I said, you bring the Guinness and I'll bring the glasses."

"What? That wasn't me."

cheers to all,

gord h.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

"Modern Love"

Chele76 said...

I don't have a suggestion... but thank you for sharing this pic. It put a smile on my face. I really needed that. :)