I pray the lessons of Katrina have been learned as New Orleans shuts down and empties out. I pray the forces of community, charity and empathy prevail over the forces of selfishness and criminal intent in the days and weeks ahead. Folks who have endured so much deserve to have a little humanity this time around.
Your turn: If you know someone in the hurricane zone, please take this opportunity to reach out and share a kind thought. Even small gestures matter at times like this.
One more thing: Thought I'd include some helpful - and frankly very geeky-cool - storm tracking links. Sometimes, data brings a little bit of comfort.
- StormPulse - Wickedly slick online tracking application
- StormAdvisory - Google Maps-based mashup
- IBISeye - Another great mashup
- National Hurricane Center - Gateway to the source of all storm-related data
- Weather Underground - Similar gateway-type resource
- Intellicast - Latest imagery
- Hurricane City - Interactive tracker