Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Thematic Photographic 10 - Patterns


Repeating...
London, ON, April 2008 [Click to enlarge]


I like knowing what I'm getting into before I step out of the house in the morning. I'm not a huge fan of surprises. When I settle on foods, songs and experiences that, respectively, taste, sound and feel good to me, I tend to stick with them. Sure, I push my limits on occasion - usually when my wife encourages me to try something new. But I derive comfort from things that feel as natural as an old pair of sandals. So more often than not, I'll order without needing to look at the menu.

Which brings us to this week's Thematic Photographic theme. You guessed it: we're doing patterns this week. (Pause for a little cheer.) There always seems to be a story in the pattern. And it invites the eye in for a closer, lingering look. As you can see from the photo above, patterns often happen in the most ordinary places.

Your turn: Do you have a pattern-themed photo to share? Here's how Thematic Photographic works:
  1. Every Wednesday evening, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  2. Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...patterns!
  3. You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  4. You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  5. If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry.
  6. You may post one per day, many per day, one each day of the entire week, whatever suits your fancy. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  7. Please share this link with friends, too. I want this thing to being photographic happiness to lots of people - and I need your help.
That's it for now...can't wait to see what you come up with this week!

25 comments:

Bernie said...

Hello Carmi!!!

What a great theme for this week. I have used, and adapted it for my composition across three photos from work...

I hope you enjoy it!

Mojo said...

Nice challenge this week!

I thought I was going to have to go out hunting for this one, but the archives saved me yet again. For today anyway.

I'm up

Beverly said...

This will be an interesting one...I'll really have to keep my eyes open.

awareness said...

Who knew I had a lot to say on this topic! I had to cut myself off from rambling on and on!! Pictures do accompany the piece. Great topic Carmi.....Patterns are eye candy.

http://mayfairplace.blogspot.com/2008/08/infinite-patterns.html

Anonymous said...

a row of tubs, bathtubs that it. found at an old antique/junkyard/museum kind of place in rural ontario. photo is the first in "margie's album" on my website.

http://3yrplan.typepad.com/soeursdujour/

G. Harrison said...

good choice and photo, carmi.

i'll be back.

gh

G. Harrison said...

...and he's back.

last weekend's trip to Niagara Falls provided a few patterns.

and the visit to the Butterfly Conservatory was certainly worth the price of admission.

cheers,

gord h.

http://itstrikesmefunny.blogspot.com/2008/08/postcards-from-niagara-falls-ontario.html

Jax said...

Everyone can read about what a moron I am in this week's Thematic Photographic post ...
http://writerjax.blog-city.com/thematic_photographic_2__the_vanishing.htm

Barbara said...

Carmi! What a great TP this week! So many things come to mind when thinking about patterns. So, come check out Picture This At Last for some bright examples.

Nestor Family said...

Here we go...

... but I may be back with more!

Fun one, Carmi!

Hayley Townley, Jack of Many Trades said...

Another great thematic photographic, Carmi.

I worked mine into my post today, and will have more over the next week!

The public has a right to know!

You have to work a bit to see it. Hint: It's at the bottom of the post!

Nestor Family said...

Hi, again! Have been having some fun this afternoon and posted more for today's theme!

Hope you like THESE!

Mamie said...

I became interested in your thematic photography blog from reading Mojo's blog from reading Peggy Payne's blog! I was inspired to participate by his great photographs. You can view my choices for the week at Can I Do It?

Unknown said...

Carmi, your pattern pic is cool.... you always start everyone off with a super photo!

July was a crazy month for me, but things have finally settled down now so i am looking forward to participating in PT again.....

i scrounged in my files and came up with a few, you'll find them at

http://caromoom.blogspot.com

hope all is well

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi ~

Believe it or not, I'm FINALLY posting a TP again. The sad thing is I've had photos for the past few carnivals, but a crazy summer schedule kept me from posting them.

Hopefully, routine will set in the coming days with all things back to school next week.

Here's a few pics that fit this week's theme; maybe I'll find a few more :).

http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/2008/08/patterns.html

Barbara said...

As always, it is so much fun to see what everyone is posting for this week's TP. This is a really good one and I even find myself noticing patterns where I never really looked before. here is another from my files.

docemdy said...

Prints is what my contribution is about. Happy weekend.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Late as ever, but my first one is up - http://photo-bunny.blogspot.com/2008/08/thematic-photographic-patterns.html.

I have to stop posting in advance cause I forget to go back and sign linkies and leave comments! LOL!
:D

smarmoofus said...

Ahhh, finally! I have identified the patterns! And now I will permit myself the pleasure of seeing everybody else's patterns.

-smarmoofus

Jody said...

Wooooot! I love this theme! Great choice! We took a trip to Williamsburg Va last week and I caught some great photo's. Didn't know I'd be using them here tho lol.

I am now excited to look for more! Thanks!


http://jodybabycatcher.blogspot.com/2008/08/patterns-of-life.html

Jenelle said...

I'm finally playing! My one-year-old has been slightly demanding this week leaving me very little blogging/photography time. Sigh. The tribulations of mommyhood. LOL

Come guess what my patterns are at http://mommyinthewoods.blogspot.com/2008/08/thematic-photography-patterns.html

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I see posts for your blog everywhere - I wanted to give it a try. Here's a fun pattern - midday sky reflection.

I would also like to invite you to brand new Pet Peeve Tuesdays, at my blog! I hope you'll come check it out!

Hayley Townley, Jack of Many Trades said...

Once again, I managed to do thematic photographic and wordless wednesday in one post. And I posted something yesterday as TP - patterns too.

Have a great day. Looking forward to the next theme!

Margerie said...

Just got my camera, will be joining the fun soon!

Thanks for sparking everyone's creativity Carmi!

Susan said...

I've posted two pattern photos, one here and one here.