Friday, May 08, 2009

On a journey


Together we ride
London, ON, March 2009 [Click photo to embiggen, and click here for more yellow-themed nuttiness]


It's been an eventful day in the world of Carmi. My treasure of a wife, with the illustrious Mojo's able guidance, hijacked my blog and outed me. (If you haven't seen it, click here. I'll wait.)

So now you know: Today marks another orbit around the sun for me; a birthday, if you will. And in our family, my wife always makes sure birthdays are a very big deal.

The little folks - a term I won't be able to use for much longer, as they're getting less little by the day - decorated the living room and helped Debbie get supper ready. I contributed to the festivities by forgetting to take the meat loaf out of the oven. If you've ever wondered what 90 superfluous minutes of cooking can do to meat loaf, I'd be happy to explain in excruciating, husband-guilty detail.

The cake - lemon - was probably delish on its own. But I particularly enjoyed it because everything that mattered to me was right there. The kids were making all sorts of chaotic noise, the dog was hovering under Noah for the inevitable droppings, my wife wouldn't let me anywhere near the oven again and the skies threatened with thunder and lightning. And I wouldn't have it any other way. This journey of mine that started a bunch of orbits ago is far from perfect or orderly. It's insane at times, but never forgettable. And I can't think of being on this adventure with anyone but the brood that surrounds me.

All this from my parents' decision oh so long ago to have another munchkin. Pretty neat, that, and something for which I am ever thankful to them.

Your turn: Something memorable from your own journey. Please discuss.

8 comments:

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

I'm glad your parents decided too Carmi! Your words brighten many of my days! Sounds like a perfect celebration, simple, happy, family-centred..the best kind!

Breeze

Jeena R. Papaadi said...

I am late. As usual.
But am sure you had a great day, Carmi..!
Wishing you lotsa more happy birthdays :)

Marion said...

I hope you had a very happy Birthday, Carmi...it sure sounds like you did! Your wife's post was excellent and very loving.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday Carmi! I'm thankful your parents made that decision as well since it means the rest of us get to enjoy your existence on this globe shaped rock along with us.

photowannabe said...

Fun celebration, chaos and all. Glad you were born too.
I have posted another yellow contribution. If you have time, come and visit.

Mojo said...

I marvel at the way whatever guiding hand that rules the universe draws the lines of intersection between people. Tracing the lines that intersected here at this place in the cybersphere, I'm literally giddy over your parents' decision.

Whether you acknowledge it, or even realize it, you bring a lot of light and goodness to a lot of people here in this place. So orbit on my friend! And orbit happily!

Andi said...

What a perfect post...and wonderful life. Netchick sent me and I wish that I had meatloaf right now.

rashbre said...

I liked your description of the orbits. The sunny yellow fits the theme too. I just watched that Australia film which talks about Aboriginal Australians and their belief in everyone's 'Story' and I think you capture a similar thought well.

Best, rashbre