Someone to watch over me
Toronto, ON, March 2009 [Click to enlarge]
The scene: A bitterly cold late-winter's morning, a stone's throw from the very center of the country's largest, most influential and, yes, most profitable businesses. The wind whips around the downtown skyscrapers, making a miserable day even more so. It's bad enough when you're well dressed, well fed and you know you've got a home to return to.
As I approach this unfortunate soul, I see commuters avert their eyes from the shapeless form. He struggles with the wind, trying to keep it from blowing his makeshift home away. Just when I think he's all alone, a caring soul stops and leans in to chat. She smiles warmly, looks him directly in the eyes, and speaks to him as a human being, not someone to be ignored and forgotten.
I quietly hope that a stranger's warmth is enough to at least temporarily offset the intense cold - from Mother Nature as well as his fellow humans - that seems to define his life.
Your turn: This photo kicks off our new Thematic Photographic theme, human. What kind of pictures can you share over the next seven days? Well, as long as they have something to do with people, pretty much anything. They can be happy, sad, thought provoking, silly or anything in between. I hope this week's theme encourages you to explore the people side of your photography. If you're new to TP, here's the lowdown:
- Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
- Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...human!
- You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
- You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
- If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
- You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
- Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
- And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.