Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - Waiting


Not my train
Brantford, ON, March 2009

About this photo: We're wrapping up this week's Thematic Photographic theme, human, with this image. If you'd like to share your own human-themed scene, you've still got time (frankly, you can always share a pic on any TP entry. Far be it for me to spoil the fun, right?) Scroll down for details on next week's exciting theme.
In my mind, the defining characteristic of train travel is the blurry countryside that continuously paints the huge windows on either side of the car. While planes force passengers to see a faraway world through porthole-like holes in an otherwise closed-up cabin, trains invite the outside in, and treat passengers to a front-row view of the best and the worst of the communities through which they pass.

I always see something new whenever I travel this way. And it never gets old.

Your turn: What's he thinking?

Coming up tomorrow: Tune back in at 7:00 p.m. EDT Wednesday (tomorrow!) when we post the first Thematic Photographic entry of the week.) Our new theme will be:

Signs

Please give it some thought and come on back starting tomorrow eve to share your vision.

19 comments:

invisible said...

next old lady gets off the train, I'm stealin' her purse.
meth ain't gettin' any cheaper.
( man I sure do miss being an investment banker, I could afford all the crank I wanted back then.)

Laurie said...

A very human moment indeed. I think his mind is just wandering kind of randomly. At least that is what mine tends to do when I am waiting.

Momstart said...

It is quite a thoughtful photo. My first thought was London, then I thought of how fast the metro's are in France.hmmm

Daisy Deadhead said...

Excellent photo.

for the dog people

Dominique said...

I love the brown tones of the picture. It is a real classic looking photograph at the train station.

Randall said...

Striking what sepia can do to an everyday sort of image.

Black on Campus said...

This photo is really wonderful. The black and white and the simple composition just really give me a sense of loneliness on the one hand and solitude with a sweet sense of longing on the other.

Robin said...

He looks a bit sad, there by himself.

I agree with you though. You get a much better look at the world by train. Too bad it takes so much longer (and doesn't do very well at transatlantic trips).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Stock Sunday starts May 31st - come check it out!

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

About where he'd rather be and is waiting to go.

Americanising Desi said...

agree with Laurie.
a very human moment!
:)
Happy WW
http://whenhekissesher.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/found-light/

Race said...

i see depth in your shot, many thoughts can be added to that picture, the color tones are beautiful too!

Beth F said...

Very nice moment in time. Well composed.

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

We go to Europe about every other year. We love the trains because we get to see the world we're traveling.

Great photo! Lovely thought!

Carleen said...

I'm reminded of an old Merle Haggard album, "Same Train, Different Time" in which the Hag sings Jimmie Rodgers' songs. The method of travel or the way to reach the destination is the same, but the times have changed.

Fantastic photo!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes waiting can be good, for her who knows? Great shot Carmi.

Nihal said...

Smiling Hello:)

I think this poor innocent boy was into some deep thoughts like:
"Half the people look at me with sorrow. The other half... who cares?!"

This is my first time to visit your page. Enjoyed to find interesting articles with wild color highlights -I like it.

Btw, I am in TP this wed. Because theme of signs gave me an outlet I would not resist:)

Kindest~

Rayne said...

He looks like he's waiting for someone. Someone he hasn't seen in a long time and he's nervous about it.

Holly Schwendiman said...

I've been so bad about WW lately, I always enjoy your shares. I'm wondering if the man in the photo is contemplating how many times he's missed an opportunity train. :)

Hugs,
Holly

Anonymous said...

I love the sepia colour in this photo. About what's he thinking.. I couldn't say, but I guess he was feeling lonely