Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A chair by any other name


Watching the world go by
Grand Bend, ON, September 2009

The frenetic pace of our modern, Internet-enabled, wired and wireless planet almost seems to suck every last opportunity for stillness from our souls. The very act of sitting around doing nothing is seen by some as an affront to progress and productivity. Move, and move fast, or risk being left behind by those who do.

As you may have guessed, it's an ethos that doesn't particularly sit well with me. Because if you're so busy spending every waking moment running ever faster on the treadmill of life, when do you get a chance to appreciate the fruits of your investment? At some point, you've got to find some sort of balance.

I think these chairs overlooking Lake Huron would be an ideal place to find said balance. I imagine many sunsets have been enjoyed from here, helped along by many glasses of iced tea and many quiet moments with friends.

Your turn: How do you turn off?

One more thing: Thematic's please be seated week continues here. It's not too late to share your own.

8 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I love these chairs. So fun.

I find balance in journaling and spending time with family (with all the electronics turned off!).

Cloudia said...

important question, Carmi





Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Pamela said...

I have had a tough time turning off -- the busyness of this past 8 months. We thought we were nearing retirement and there was some smooth sailing. Guess you never know what lies around the bend. Whoever bought those chairs is prepared, me thinks.

Bob Scotney said...

Such colourful chairs would make anyone switch off me included. Now where's the wine?

H said...

I go to a live baseball game. Minor league, major league, high school, it doesn't matter. There's enough down time in baseball to relax, and enough other things to look at and talk about to distract from the worries that I left behind at home. Even the memory of the smell of leather and dirt helps me unwind a little.

Mark said...

When pondering seats and finding solitude for balance, I'm forced to think of my bicycle seat.

It takes me to so many places I find conducive of meditation, reflection, and peace.

Then sometimes it just gets magical and the journey to these places itself is one of meditation, reflection and peace... cruising along paved bike paths or forgotten roads that run along endless stretches of fields and forests.

Yup. The bicycle seat. That's how I turn off.

Crosby Kenyon said...

Hot soak in the tub. It slows down the brain and, believe it or not, often lets in pertinent creativity in a very slow and soothing way, helping to solve a problem.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

those chairs are fabulous!