Sunday, April 17, 2011

Custer's last stand


Healthy or not?
London, ON, July 2009
About this photo: It's tree week all week long. Follow your mouse here to get in on the barked action.
I was on walking home after dropping the little man off at a nearby friend's house for a playdate. To avoid the mid-afternoon, mid-summer heat, I detoured onto a walking path that traces the route of a nearby creek.

It all sounded so idyllic until I realized I had no idea where I was. And GPS, so wonderful on mapped and marked streets, wasn't all that precise out here in the boonies.

So I wandered a bit, following the sun until I more or less recognized where I was. And as I wandered this anything-but-a-desert, I found lovely little scenes to shoot. Like this stand of trees that defied definition. Were they dying a slow, ugly death? Or were they defying the odds and starting to grow where before there had been no life at all?

Such a conundrum deep in the however-many-acre wood.

Your turn: So, which one is it? Dying or vibrant?

5 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Or is it the end of a cycle or a beginning? Love the composition of this!.

Crosby Kenyon said...

Everything organic to this planet seems to die a little as it lives. So we enjoy the moments. Nice.

Tabor said...

Being a master gardener I must make the suggestion that these look like sumac trees whih means you must return in the fall for a lovely rust-red death.

full 54 x 75 outlast blanket said...

Wow! What a great photo of trees I like this very much and this is very attractive post,I inspired by this.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Ankita Sarkar said...

Wodnerful photo but omg weren't ou scared when you were lost?