Thursday, April 07, 2011

Living in another world


Masters of the planet
Miami, FL, January 2011

You don't have to look far for evidence that humans have rather spectacularly reshaped the planet. Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends largely on your individual perspective. I don't have any preconceived notions, and I don't think it's a simple enough equation that we can assign "good" or "bad" labels to anything. Life is rarely that clean-cut.

These rather spectacularly linear spits of land just off Miami are a great example. They were definitely a wow moment for the kids as we flew over them. We wondered how they came to be, and what it must be like to live there. I pessimistically mentioned their vulnerability to hurricanes and sea level change. Our son agreed, but still said the coolness factor could outweigh the risks for some people.

I rather like his perspective. Life doesn't always have to be rational, does it?

Your turn: Does it? Why/why not?

One more thing: This picture wraps up our "By land, sea or air" Thematic theme. New one hits the airwaves tonight at 7:00 p.m. What will it be? What would you like it to be? I'm all ears.

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I remember when I had questioned the actions of a person I was involved with, my family counselor told me "with humans, there is no rationality'.. people aren't always rational.. I think its because we act out of what we feel inside and no two people think or act alike...
What is 'normal' for one may not be for another...
Is it wrong? In theory no... But, as I was told that I was a linear thinker, so I guess in my thinking it would not be so right, though I would recognize it and accept it.

SydneyLK said...

Life should be a little crazy. It is the only way we can all keep sane.

We need to leave rationality behind and just go for the gusto.

Give your brain a day off and just wander.

It'll be good for you I swear.

Pamela said...

a great photo.
but even better I enjoyed reading a well groomed thought about good and bad.

You really nailed it!

Pat Tillett said...

Nope, life isn't rational and I don't expect it to be. Great photo! Man can change the looks of things, but as we already know, it wouldn't take much of a tsunami to undo all of this...