Saturday, February 18, 2012

Happy (green) feet


Walk with me
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2011
About this photo: Thematic. Pairs. You. Here. Please & thank you.
These are our youngest son's flip flops. Not exactly ideal for long distance walking, working out or climbing a tree, but just perfect for an 11-year-old's vacation where the biggest decision of the day revolves around what to have for breakfast and whether we go to the beach or to the pool. He's a bright, brightly-spirited little guy, the kind of kid who almost glows with happiness from the moment he wakes up. So it was no surprise that he chose this particular color: No need to hide it. Life is good, so may as well wear something that reflects his mood.

He was getting ready to hit the pool when I quickly grabbed this scene. I wondered how long he'd be willing to wear bright-green, Kermit-class shoes before the inevitable conservatism of the later-teen years would kick in. I thought about how adulthood tends to tamp down our exuberance, to the point that an adult wearing flip flips like these would draw raised eyebrows - vs. the smiles that our son attracted that day.

I quietly hoped that regardless of age, he'd keep wearing green anyway. Because what other people think is immaterial. But what he thinks is everything. And if it means he keeps that vibrant spirit of his well into adulthood, then we'll all be better off.

Your turn: How do you hold onto your own childhood?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I wear pumpkin~bright race shoes for my Triathlons! (and I dance to my favorite song on my radio when I'm making supper).
Love his green flipflops. May he never lose the color!

Kavi said...

Just saw the post and recollected my own recent post

http://www.kavismusings.blogspot.in/2012/02/shoeing-it-in.html