Thursday, February 02, 2012

On mistakes and honor

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I'm pretty sure I'm making a lot of mistakes these days, judgment calls where I'm bound to cross some line, tick someone off, leave some wreckage in my wake.

But here's the thing: I'm perfectly OK with it. When life swirls around in a tightening vortex that forces you to alternately run like hell and hold on for dear life, you know you won't always have the luxury of time to stand at the fork of a decision and mull over your choices until you're absolutely sure you know which direction is best. Sometimes, all you can do is glance, pick, and run with the current. You'll figure it out eventually.

And even if you don't, you're on one heck of a ride, so who really cares about perfection, anyway.

Your turn: Your biggest mistake ever was...?

5 comments:

Cloudia said...

answer: *Unprintable*

When harried or in doubt,I choose to err on the side of kindness; and am perhaps guilty of "doing nothing" too well. . .


Warm Aloha from Hawaii
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

David Edward said...

my biggest mistake: the first time I smoked weed.

Alexia said...

Getting married - the first time ;)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Biggest mistake was not listening to my gut feelings.... now is that an oxymoron or what? lol.. I think its fear that I have in situations where I'm afraid to say 'no'.. or rather its the person who is doing the asking that I am hesitant to say no to.

21 Wits said...

Sadly, my mother wasted to much time being a perfectionist... but her doing so, taught me much! My mistakes often remind me of Ground Hog Day (the movie) but like you said go with the flow until it all makes sense...right?

Seriously ...It's funny, but many of my mistakes paved the way to something good...so in the end I have been thankful...