Sunday, April 29, 2012

Doing it by the book

Ancient words
London, ON
February 2012
Click here for more faith-themed Thematic























With all the talk about ebooks - I even wrote about them last week - I still can't imagine a world completely devoid of paper-based literature. I'm no Luddite and I'm patently tuned into the real world, however. I know the market for books is rapidly and inevitably shifting toward bits and not bindings. But somewhere along the margins, there are places where I suspect the electronic form may have a tough time shoving paper aside.

Like here, in the middle of a synagogue, my synagogue. Given the whole can't-use-technology-on-Sabbath thing, I don't thing prayer books (aka siddurs) on iPads will ever be a viable substitute for the well-worn example you see here. I'm guessing the rabbis of tomorrow are in for some serious debates as they argue back and forth about what constitutes "work" and what the big man upstairs would want.

I'm guessing he (she? Am I going to hell now for even mentioning this?) didn't anticipate iPads when these rules were drawn up. But wait, he (she?) is supposedly all-knowing, so maybe I'm wrong. And maybe I'm still going to hell, but at least I like this picture, as it reminds me of quiet reflection in a world that doesn't always give us enough opportunity to do just that.

Your turn: What do we lose when we lose paper?

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The Ipad shows how far technology has come- yet its cold- lacks warmth.. Whereas a book, is the opposite. Especially a first edition book that shows age, and the fact its been read hundreds of times... Also nothing beats the smell of a new book.. Opening its cover, and flipping thru new pages.. I love it!. Also, unlike an Ipad that needs recharging or rebooting.. a book does not need either... Just light, eyes, hands to hold or fingers to glide over the raised braille...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

What do we lose when we lose paper?

That reminds me, I've got to apply for a new Social Security card (again)...
~

rennratt said...

What do we lose when we lose paper? Memories. Texture. That new book smell.

I have a Kindle, thanks to my dad. I read e-books, but I tend to purchase more "real" books than anything. [That's why God created Library Book Sales!]

I have the Bible on my phone, but I tend to carry my old, worn out NIV to service anyway. It was a gift from my Mum and Dad when I graduated from high school. It is tattered, worn, and the binder is almost gone. I have too many memories in that book to turn to technology for good.

My Mum has been gone for almost 6 years now. When I carry that NIV, it's like she's there with me.