Monday, April 02, 2012

Thematic Photographic 190 - Mirror, mirror


Only in a Jeep
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2011

I've selected this week's Thematic theme, mirror, mirror, because I've always found shooting reflective surfaces to be especially challenging. Do you focus on the surface of the object? Or what's being reflected? Or both? Or neither? How do you expose properly? I never answer every question, but I always seem to get drawn into the process more deeply when there's a mirrored surface involved.

I'm hoping you'll shoot into mirrored surfaces over the next week, too, because the results are often eye-opening. And the process of getting there is so rewarding.

Your turn: Shoot a mirror-themed pic, then post it to your site - or simply share something you may have already shared. Leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it. Pop by other participants to share the goodness. Pop by here if you're new to the Thematic thing. And have fun. Because without fun, there is no point.

11 comments:

darlin said...

G'day Carmi, when I'm shooting photos I try to capture the reflection, I sometimes include the object being reflected, sometimes not, it just depends what I'm shooting and what the desired result is that I'm in search of. Sometimes I get reflections I love, other times the reflection ruins the photo. I'll keep my eyes peeled this week for reflections just because I love them and it's your theme of the week! Cheers.

Cloudia said...

like grease on the water by moonlight. . . . paisley?


Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I like reflections in the water, and then I go for symmetry.
~

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Here's an example.

(But that was in my post for 189, so I'll find something new! ;-)
~

Gilly said...

My mirror wasn't on the wall, but I hope you will like these

Max Sartin said...

Many things make a good mirror, here's mine.

Bob Scotney said...

Mirrors on a wet day.
http://bit.ly/HcwM5q

fredamans said...

Fantabulous reflection!

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2012/04/thematic-photographic-mirror-mirror.html

21 Wits said...

This is on a Jeep, seriously? This has got to have the best paint job ever, or wax, or mega clearcoats, with a super slick buffing of all time. Or you are simply a genius to get this fine of a mirror reflection! Awesome! Should I even post mine?!! ha ha...

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/04/thematic-photographic-190-i-see.html

Lisa Shafer said...

I thought I'd posted my comment, but Karen told me I hadn't. And it's not here. I must be going senile.
Here it is:
http://lisashafer.blogspot.com/2012/04/photo-mysteries-writers-game-18.html

Max Sartin said...

I have another set of mirror pictures.