Thursday, April 12, 2012

On the true definition of hardship

"When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'"
Sydney Harris


I read someone's status update recently and I had to laugh. This person's music player had stopped working, and we all learned what a great tragedy it was to go for a run without tunes.

I stifled the urge to say something in a comment, because when someone's perspective is skewed such that a busted iPod is enough to spark wails of sadness, there really isn't anything anyone can say that can open this person's eyes.

Five years ago today I learned of a friend's passing at a ridiculously young age. A friend's sister now battles cancer as her family rallies around her. My own extended family has been similarly touched by the shadows of this disease.

If my iPod breaks, I'll either get it fixed or I'll buy another one. Because stuff is always easily replaced. People aren't.

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I find it sad... The person feeling devastated over an Ipod not working evidently has not LIVED...or experienced life... Reminds me of the innocence of children... Remember how little kids would feel bad if their toy was taken away? ( for example).. That is understandable but when an adult complains over an Ipod? that truly is sad or maybe it shows how shallow, materialistic and self centered they are?

darlin said...

Amen ~ when one is faced with a very near death experiences and survives it often changes perspectives... or when one ages. A broken nail is no longer an issue, nor is a broken iPod, but all in good time this young person (or older individual) will learn this. Life is a journey traveled one step at a time, we take out of each step what we choose to or what we are intended to learn.

Have a wonderful weekend Carmi, and did you suggest to the individual that singing is good for the soul? ;-)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

It's a matter of first-world "problems" vs. the real struggles of all of humanity.
I do wonder why we often focus on the trivial rather than the important.