Thursday, April 05, 2012

Light the way


Clearly
Deerfield Beach, FL, December 2011

To some, they're basic headlights, forgettable appendages at the corners of forgettable, appliance-like cars that do little more than get us to work and home every day. To me, they're a little bit more.

First, a car isn't just an appliance. Rather, it's an enabler. It gives my family mobility and potential, connecting them with the places they need to go, the people they need to see and the things they need to do in order to lead a meaningful life. Second, it keeps them safe, allows them to move through their day without worrying they're about to be stranded far from home or left in a ditch. Or worse. It's more than just a hunk of metal. It's an integral part of a busy family's life.

Sounds a bit idealistic, I know, but I make no excuses for the way I see the planet.

And the lights? They help us see the way, keep us out of danger, keep us visible to others. These, too, are so much more than the simple sum of their parts. Funny how we can find meaning virtually anywhere if we take the time to ponder the possibilities.

Your turn: Something plain...that isn't really. Please discuss.

To participate in this week's mirror, mirror Thematic theme, please click here.

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

How about the plain truth? Simple? Not to some... the truth can be so complicated depending on the ones who are interpreting it. U can take the truth at face value or twist it till it gets distorted....

21 Wits said...

Light my fire! Sorry your title brought that song to mind! Again with your magical auto views, reaching into the depths of surprise and what is it?!
Okay, something plain that isn't really? yummy, yet plain, soft and crispy around the edges, are not so plain even without any toppings!

Galen Pearl said...

Something plain, that isn't. Hmm, the first thing that popped in my head is a door. Doors can be opened or closed, locked or unlocked. They can lead to the outside, to the inside, to another room, to a closet. When I walk through a door, I have gone from one place to another. When I am in the liminal space, I am no longer here, but not yet there.

Ha! You got me thinking. I will be looking for plain things that aren't all day!