Saturday, March 16, 2024

The things we find in the gutter

Halfsies
London, ON
January 2018
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The world can be a pretty ugly place, and proof of that is often as close as the ground beneath our feet.

I found this on a Saturday morning while out with the dog for her first walk of the day. She was happily sniffing the dirt in the gutter - a dog thing, apparently - so I stood beside her, transfixed by the discarded half-smoked cigarette.

It wasn’t so much the singular image that caught my attention. Rather, it was the story behind it, and the things I could not see.

I wondered who tossed it aside as it slowly burned down its length, and concluded this was but one more countless others. Because someone who would mindlessly toss one butt away like this certainly wouldn’t stop at one.

Whoever this stranger may have been, I’m reasonably certain they never gave their actions a second thought.

But I did. Over something I should have been able to quickly set aside, but couldn’t.

The world is indeed ugly. So are some of the folks who call it home.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #throwback #street #streetphotography #cigarette #smoking #belmont #stilllife #roadside #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

No comments: