Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Cloudspotting in the country

Water and light
Ilderton, ON
June 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m pretty sure we all did this when we were kids: we’d lie down on the grass and stare up at the sky.

And as kids were likely to do, we’d let our imaginations run wild, with clouds forming fantastical, ever changing shapes, their stories playing out endlessly, high over our heads.

Sometimes the clouds were artificial, painted ruler-like across the sky by planes jetting off to destinations forever unknown.

However they were formed, it was a pretty magical way to spend time. And to this day, I’ll look way up and wonder why we ever stopped. I mean, what is it about adulthood that stops us from looking for magic above us? Or anywhere else, for that matter?

I get it: adult life is serious in ways the young versions of ourselves never fully appreciated. Only now that I’ve had a chance to experience it myself do I realize where the droop in my dad’s posture came from when he got home after a long day at work. Or the sigh in my mother’s voice as she helped get us bickering kids ready for school.

But still.

There’s no going back to worry-free cloudspotting on the front lawn. But it still can’t hurt to look up and wonder what it felt like when we did.

The magic doesn’t fully go away when we grow up. At least it shouldn’t.

#ldnont #ilderton #london #ontario #canada #weather #wx #blue #sky #cloud #clouds #cloudspotting #contrail #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

Related:
Beauty from fear, July 2013
Storm's coming, July 2013

No comments: