Sunday, March 24, 2024

Cagey moment in a Costco

Industrial disease
London, ON
March 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Scene from a Costco: we’ve come to this overwhelmingly crowded big box store to fill up on the minutiae of everyday life.

Chaotically twisted lines of people pushing overloaded carts and overtired children snake their way back from the exits, the overworked attendants checking everyone’s receipts at the door.

We pull over to the side to wait for our son to catch up with us, and as we wait, I alternate between watching the endless flow of people - like salmon spawning up the stream - and taking in the massive concrete warehouse architectural masterpiece that serves as the stage for this never-ending performance.

Maybe masterpiece is an overstatement. But it still fascinates me.

So I pull the smartphone out of my pocket and start to size up the chain link fencing that borders the floor-to-ceiling shelves that dominate this monotonously grey landscape. I’ve never played with light and angles in this part of this store before, and I now see what I’ve been missing.

My ever-understanding wife smiles gently. She’s watched this scene play out countless times over the years, and magically she’s always understood the why. I smile gently back at her as I finish shooting and show her the initial results. I’m an insanely lucky human.

Soon enough, our son finds us again and we’re on our way, the grey warehouse aesthetic tucked back into our memories, at least until our next visit here.

This may not have been a place or a moment normally worthy of its own narrative. But I’m starting to believe that in a world where things feel less than normal by the day, where we draw those lines is entirely up to us.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #grocery #bigbox #store #costco #shopping #retail #architecture #monochrome #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:

No comments: