Friday, March 08, 2024

Teletubby in a tree

Just hanging around
London, ON
March 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Po hadn’t been out of the house in a while. And as I allowed that reality to sink in, I realized I hadn’t gotten much fresh air, either, so a spontaneous wander through the neighbourhood for both of us was called for.

As luck would have it, the sun was about to set. So while I waited for the golden hour light to fade to a delightful twilight glow, I unlatched my favourite Teletubby from her spot on my camera bag and attached her to the nearest tree.

It was bit breezy, so she danced rather unpredictably after I hooked the carabiner to the branch. My feet traced circles around her as I tried to line up the right light with the right background. It wasn’t my proudest photographic moment - a tiny stuffed animal? Seriously? - but it was easily the most fun I’ve had with a camera in a while.

As often happens when I shoot weird images in the park, I attract the attention of strangers - and today was no different. A woman in a lovely wool hat and a nicely tailored coat veered off the sidewalk and asked me what I was shooting. I watched her initial smile turn to something a little more quizzical as she gradually realized I wasn’t focusing on the sun, but was instead doing a bizarre shoot with a hanging Teletubby.

But confusion soon turned to laughter as she belatedly realized what was hanging from the tree, and she shared that her own kids had watched the show, and she strangely misses them. She seemed amused that I had held onto this Happy Meal toy for so long, and wished me well as she continued on her way.

Soon enough the sun was gone, so I returned Po to her usual spot on the bag and concentrated on the horizon. But for some reason it was the spontaneous exchange with a stranger that stuck with me.

I’m generally not one to connect with folks I don’t know - it’s the introvert in me - but I do appreciate the power of photography to create connections that wouldn’t otherwise happen. If it unlocked a memory for someone and gave them a reason to smile, then I’m glad I decided to take Po out for some air.

I guess we’ll have to get out there more often, then.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #po #red #teletubby #optimist #park #goldenhour #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: