Thursday, March 07, 2024

Standing still in the mud

Just listen
London, ON
March 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


On a foggy Sunday morning, I decided to head into the woods for some much-needed unplugged time.

Soon after descending into the valley and leaving the rest of civilization behind, I realized two things:
  1. The place was completely empty. Usually I’ll see the occasional stranger or two, but not today.
  2. The place was a mud-filled mess after recent rains, which I soon realized was the reason for the emptiness.
Even worse, the fog show was a bust.

Since my initial reason for being here was now moot, and I couldn’t really walk too far for fear of becoming permanently stuck in the mud, I instead stood in one spot and just listened.

I heard the soundtrack of the woods at a fidelity I’ve never before experienced. I could hear droplets falling off of branches, and trunks creaking in the soft breeze. Even squirrels looking for food had their own audio signature, and soon enough I felt immersed in a rich, unexpected soundscape.

The camera stayed tucked away, because none of this was about taking pictures, anyway. For once, I just wanted to feel in the moment without the weight of having to record it. I’ll admit it was incredibly freeing.

I don’t know how long I stood in that one spot, but it would never be long enough, anyway.

Before turning for home and carefully picking my way out of this boggy mess, I took a single image with my phone. I wasn’t looking for The Photo as much as I simply wanted a marker to remind myself of a memorable walk in the woods.

But as is often the case, a simple picture becomes much more when it plugs into the story that made it possible.

And so here it is. I suspect there will be more walks like this to come.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #heritage #forest #tree #trees #cathedral #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: