Monday, March 04, 2024

Waiting for twilight

But wait, there's more...
London, ON
March 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The sun disappeared 20 minutes ago. Not that anyone would have known, though, because when it did the skies were relentlessly grey.

I probably should have given up back then, but a little voice whispered in my ear: stay.

So I did.

And soon enough the clouds began to slowly break up. And by the time I leaned against a tree and captured this image, the rays of twilight were doing their thing from well below the horizon.

I get that this is all just optics, a massive, ever-shifting illusion that plays out in and around the terminator, where the sun shows up, and leaves, in a never-ending race around the planet. I get that this has been happening for billions of years, and will likely continue for billions more.

But the thing is we’re not here for billions of years. I don’t know how many sunrises and sunsets we get, but it’s a lot less than billions.

I do know that witnessing one of these transitions makes me feel, I don’t know, warm. Good, even. It forces me to slow down. To block out distractions. To think. To reflect.

I’d like to think this is a healthy thing. So here I am. Even if some nights I end up wasting my time while the sun hides behind thick layers of grey.

Because not coming out at all would be an even bigger waste. As would never trying in the first place.

Because when you quietly wait it out, there’s at least a slight possibility you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Sounds like a reasonable trade-off to me. At sunset or any other time.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #sun #sunset #sky #tree #trees #cloud #clouds #cloudspotting #weather #wx #optimistpark #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: