Thursday, May 23, 2024

The chains that bind us

We're only as strong as our weakest link
London, ON
May 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram

 
I’ve evolved a strange little habit over the last few months: as sunset approaches, I’ll look out the window and read the sky. If it looks interesting - some clouds, but not overly so - I’ll fetch the camera and head for the door.

Last night was one of those nights. The sky was actually looking somewhat meh, but I thought it would be fun to go for it, anyway. Sometimes we simply have to take that chance.

Well, by the time I got to my viewing spot, the clouds had drifted away and we were firmly in boringville. I hung around for a bit, but it was clear it wasn’t happening. I had wasted my time.

Or had I?

While I waited in vain under an uncooperative sky, my eyes looked for alternatives nearby. I was in a crumbling parking lot beside an elementary school, so the pickings were slim.

But at least there were pickings to be had. Like this well worn chain hanging off the corner of an equally well worn portable classroom, its links quietly tapping against the hollow aluminum siding amid the gentle late evening breeze.

As I peered ever more closely at this forgotten scene, I noticed more details in its weary texture.

In the end, I got my picture, even if it wasn’t the one I originally came for. The answers I had been looking for through my lens were simply lurking where I least expected them to be.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #building #chain #link #stilllife #optimist #park #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #monochrome #photography

Related:
Not the weakest link, October 2021
Red guard, August 2007
The cure of color, April 2006

No comments: