Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Staring into the fuzzy horizon

Tracing lines in the sky
London, ON
April 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Depth of field is one of those cornerstones of photography that can take years for photographers to fully internalize.

I’m not ashamed to admit that I struggled with it for years after I first picked up a camera. Even now, I bracket more often than I probably should, a hacker’s attempt to compensate for my admittedly pedestrian photographic skill set.

So when I found myself staring through the bare branches, I thought it might be fun to focus on the foreground and let the colourfully fuzzy horizon tell its own part of the story.

Was this the correct way to shoot this particular scene? I’ll probably never know, and to be honest I don’t give questions like this much thought.

I’m not a classically perfect photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I know what makes me smile - and this pic does.

In the end, photography should make us happy. That’s the only thing that needs to matter.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #redskies #sunset #cloudspotting #weather #wx #silhouette #bokeh #dof #optimistpark #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photography


No comments: