Sunday, June 19, 2005

On being a Dad

Editorial note: This entry may start off sounding cynical. Rest assured, it is anything but.

I've never been one to make a big deal of Father's Day. I don't believe in ignoring the things that matter for months on end, then saving up a bunch of store-bought sentiment so that it can be rapidly expressed over the course of one overcommercialized day.

Like Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and so many other so-called "events" that were created by vendors to guilt us into buying more stuff we don't need, Father's Day as a calendar event has devolved into a rather meaningless point on the calendar.

Which is really too bad, because I had an incredibly fulfilling day with my family today. They let me sleep in really late. Then my wife made breakfast for us all and served it on our china (I love that set...I'll write about it sometime. But I digress.) Then it was outside to the deck to enjoy my gifts - an unbelievably comfortable adirondack chair and a table - and play out on the back lawn. Later on, we went to Storybook Gardens (click on the Flickr link to the right for more pics from the day) and had dinner out before carting our now-exhausted kids home for bath and tuck-in.

It was the kind of day that parents everywhere cherish, for it reminds us why we kill ourselves during the week, and why we stay up late nights, every night, working ourselves to the bone so that their future will be brighter.

Father's Day lasts for but one day. Next weekend, we'll try to recreate the same kind of magic that my wife, our kids and I enjoyed today. As I understand it, we don't need Hallmark to tell us that special days can happen any old time we wish.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually, the best cards i've ever seen are the ones not made by hallmark, but by my own card creators.

Anonymous said...

I hate all these holidays too. I hate Christmas especially. It's like if you love me you gotta buy me a card. All a card is is a piece of cardboard with a printed picture on it. Boy am I cynical!

Maddie said...

Happy Belated Father's Day!

Mellie Helen said...

If we're going to have a "Father's Day" and "Mother's Day", wouldn't it make more sense for those to simply occur on the dates of our childrens' births?

The family life you lead exemplifies just why we want to honor fathers. Well done, Daddy.

Anonymous said...

So very, very true! Happy fatherhood (for today and all other days)! Looked at the slideshow link below. Your son has the most beautiful eyes!

Christine said...

Happy Father's Day, Carmi! (I'm sorry I'm a day late!)

Your day sounds wonderful, and you are so right. Those are the days we struggle through the week for. It doesn't have to be a "special" day to be a special day.

Gina said...

Happy (late) Father's Day, Carmi. My husband and I are the same way about commercial holidays, we try not to buy into them too much.

Your children are so very lucky to have such a wise man as a father!

Jennie said...

Gosh, you have great looking kids. And the beautiful one of your wife and daughter...I almost wanted to try for a girl for a second or two. I'm over it now. ;)

Diane said...

It sounds like a perfect Father's Day. The important part is that you and your family cherish every day, not just the holidays.

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful family.

Jezzy said...

Very nice post, Carmi. Dads are wonderful people. x

Lora said...

I'm glad you had a proper father's day. I've only read a little bit of your blog so far, but I'm looking forward to reading more.

Michele sent me.