Friday, November 11, 2005

Fireside chats: modern versions

When it rains, it pours.

For some reason, the past couple of weeks have been insanely busy at work. I spent most of my time talking to reporters and prepping for interviews with some pretty wide-ranging newspapers, radio stations and web publishers. I guess sometimes the stuff I write seems to coincide with what's going on in the broader technology world. So reporters, looking for folks to help make sense of it all, tend to call in bunches.

The net result is that I burned myself out thanks to lack of sleep and find myself home, trying to sleep off what feels like a major fatigue-induced hangover (sorry, don't do the alcohol thing.)

The cool thing about this week's pickups is that two of them were on the radio. My first job during j-school and immediately after graduation was working at a radio station. I produced content for the news and public affairs program, including on-air interviews and in-studio, full-show packages. It was an amazing learning experience that I carry with me to this day.

So being on the other side of the microphone after a few years has been a bit of a challenge. But I'm enjoying the process and hope to do more of it in the months to come. If you've ever wanted to hear me yak about technology, now's your chance. Feel free to laugh at my geekitude, and stay tuned for more...

Each package is available as a downloadable MP3 (CFRA) or WMA (RCI):
* CFRA is located in Ottawa, Ontario - Canada's capital city. Ottawa is also a major center of technology development, so media there tend to be very interested in news from Canada's leading-edge tech firms.
**RCI is the international broadcasting service of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), our national broadcaster. The show is aired worldwide, which means I may have helped jumpstart BlackBerry adoption in Tuvalu. Frightening.

12 comments:

David Edward said...

hello from the Left coast

Panthergirl said...

Ooh I can't wait to listen to these!! How cool!

Here via michele! (off to the grocery store, but I'll be back to listen!)

WendyWings said...

Enjoy the experience, the last time I got offered a regular radio spot I had to turn it down.

Michele sent me :)

Olyal said...

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again... you certainly do get around!!! You really are quite the journalistic all-rounder!
I hope you feel better after a few days rest!
Michele sent me today.

rashbre said...

I'll also listen, but when its not so late! I know that fatigue thing, which feels a bit like jet lag. Sleep is good, sometimes!

here today via Michele's,
Best.
rashbre

doug said...

Hello Carmi My long lost Brother in Arms say hey to the Family Here via Michele's and not on my own volition (sadly been out of touch with all my "reads" lately..... congrats on the Radio stints as always! Been a busy day fro me at San Pedro base this week SAHD and Domestic God today notwithstanding been posting some good reads at my site though this week more "stream of Reality Bites" type again... LOL! Have a great weekend!

and up next:

"Word Verification Anagrams!"

today at Carmis we see:

"gbdwx" =
"Greater Bodies Develop Without 'X-cess..." (yeah I kind of cheated there but I have hit like 7 today with "x" in them and am getting "x"-ed out of terms! LOL!)


Doug.

kenju said...

Carmi, you should post audio blogs! That way, it would be easy to hear you.

Michele sent me back tonight; I hope you are feeling better after your rest.

ribbiticus said...

way to go, carmi! you're on the fast track to fame! hehehe. :)

michele sent me today.

Russ said...

Hey Carmi, visiting tonight by way of Michele (like the rest of the Blogdom).
Cool being on the radio. How were the nerves?

Chatty said...

We will be doing podcasts in my classes. Technology and geekiness are great fun!

Michele sent me, Carmi.

Sandy said...

Here via Michele this time.

As any parent or hard-worker knows, sleep deprivation can knock you on your butt. Hope you're getting some peaceful rest soon.

carmilevy said...

EASY: No, it never is. Folks who haven't done live radio don't understand how hard it is to do smoothly.

WENDY: Sorry you couldn't pursue the slot. Even though I only spent four years in radio, much of what I learned about media has served me well ever since.

YAELI: It's all about maximizing exposure. Eventually, I figure the right folks will start to notice. My hunch is that this will open even more doors.

RASHBRE: Sleep is my favorite state. I hope to get some soon!

DOUG: No worries. There's never enough time to read everything we want to read. Even with RSS feeds dumping my favorite blogs to my PalmPilot, I can't keep up.

JUDY: Great suggestion. Audioblogs work well for smaller posts. But the interviews I'm linking to are huge...not sure if Audioblogger can handle something that large. I need to do some techie-research. Thanks for the suggestion!

RIBBITICUS: Our kids want to know if I'm famous yet. I'm not quite sure how to answer that. They think it's cool that I get written up and interviewed in lots of different places.

RUSS: The nerves were good. I wish I could have waved away my colleagues, though. It seems people don't understand when you're on the phone, so they just walk up to you and start talking. I'm going to make a special sign.

CHATTY: Can't wait to hear the result of your podcast experience. I hope you blog-post your work.

SANDY: Can a parent ever make up for a sleep debt? God, I hope so!