Monday, January 15, 2007

Green Coke


The pause that refreshes
Pompano Beach, Florida, January 2007 [Click to enlarge the droplets of condensation]

Ronnie B's is a 50s-style diner that sits barely a block away from the end of the runway of the local airport. Stepping into it is like going back in time. While we waited for our meal to arrive, I snapped away quietly, trying to capture the essence of a place that usually exists only in our imagination.

I'll post more images from this experience in a future blog entry. For now, I wanted to leave you with this iconic image of American history. On the surface, it represents sugared water. Beneath it, however, it evokes memories of times distantly removed, of lives we once lived.

That, and the color, shape and surfacing of this image were really friendly to my eye. Hope you like it, too.

Your turn: Times of innocence. Please discuss.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This photo is so great, there was no need to enlarge...I could easily see those droplets of water.
This brought me instantly back to the early 60's, Salem, Mass. and Martha's Sweets. Where we'd all head for cherry cokes after high school...to discuss boys, upcoming dances, Frankie Avalon, American Bandstand and football games. A very innocent time...a different world, a different society. Can you tell in viewing this that nostalgia washed over me?
Great photo, as always.

Anonymous said...

Nice...can I have a sip?

Hope you dont mind...I put a reference to your blog on my post tonight!

Anonymous said...

I had a little red wagon. It was a 60s vintage Radio Flyer and was my favorite toy for a very long time. Wow, I haven't thought about that in a very long time. I feel a story coming on...

Mike

Via Michele.

Raehan said...

Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Some of the best times of my life were happening with a Coke sitting somewhere nearby.
Great pic.

Anonymous said...

What a great picture, it puts me in mind of many old memories also, but I won't bore anyone with them ;^)!
Here from Micheles tonight.

kenju said...

That takes me back to the "Valley Bell" in my home town, where we went every day in the summer for Cokes and French fries. And like Terri, we discussed American Bandstand, boys and sports figures.

Michele sent me.

utenzi said...

That picture doesn't look real somehow, Carmi. I can't really define why--but there's just a mildew-y aspect to it that repels me despite the coca-cola trademark.

Innocence? Doesn't exist. We're all born of sin and into sin. I'm not religious but that's one concept in the agenda that I'll agree with.

utenzi said...

On the other hand, some have less innocence than others. I was born cynical!

Anonymous said...

The last meet n'greet of the extended weekend goes to...

Carmi!

Thanks, Michele!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add about childhood innocence. Last night I got an unexpected emaill from kenju with a scanned picture attached. It was me at the age of one on the beach. Our families had gone on vacation together. She is a dear friend to my mother.

It reminded me of all the family vacations that I took as a kid...I can smell the sunblock (actually I am sure it was oil because back then nobaody cared about skincare...even on children) and can feel the sand in my toes. It is pretty vivid.

What a neat reminder out of the blue of my childhood.

Anonymous said...

beautiful shot. What kind of camera are you using?

Times of innocence... all tarnished with wisdom as I got older! Ohhh I am in a mood. lol sorry!