Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Just a puddle?


Reflected sky at a highway rest stop
Somewhere in Eastern Ontario, December 2006

My father-in-law's name is Irving. So when we come across an Irving gas station, we always make an event out of it. This time out, we stopped at a truck stop near the highway to give the kids - and ourselves - a bit of a break on a monotonous drive. Cabin fever definitely sets in when you've been in the car since long before sunrise.

As we were finishing up, I wandered over to one of the huge diesel pumps for 18-wheeler trucks and noticed the horizontal patterns in the immediately adjacent wet concrete roadway. In the most gritty, industrialized place imaginable, I found a tiny slice of a bucolic sky. Imagine that.

Your turn: Have you found inspiration in a decidedly non-inspiring place?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...funny you should ask...check out my blog Carmi. I just wrote about this last night! :) Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

A simple image that reminds us we can find beauty anywhere if we look hard enough for it. Thanks Carmi. Happy New Year!

kenju said...

I probably have, but I can't remember it. I am glad you find inspiration in otherwise uninspiring places, Carmi. You make us all think!

Anonymous said...

what a good catch Carmi...you never fail to amaze me with your photos.

I will stop and look next time for something inspiring like this.

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. If you frame anything right, there is beauty or disorder.

Snaggle Tooth said...

This is a great texture-contrast show! (I love puddle reflections)

Simple beauty is everywhere- I usually only get a mind pic of it tho-

Anonymous said...

Oh...this is SO cool.

Anonymous said...

I've been really lucky. Met a lot of people face to face from online. Even went to Brooklyn and met a group for the first time after talking online for years, it was a surprise for his 30th birthday.

Nice to meet you too! :)

you take wonderful photos