Friday, January 05, 2007

Natural and artificial light


Food court light
Belleville, Ontario, December 2006

Malls are commonly dismissed as antiseptic, overcommercialized environments that are bereft of any architectural merit. This is, to a great degree, true in most cases. The typical suburban mall is about as unique and memorable as a box of Rice Krispies.

But that doesn't mean that individual elements of these artificial boxes can't be worth observing in their own right. Sometimes, the macro view within the larger, somewhat featureless context reveals features that, until the scope was narrowed, simply didn't present themselves to the eye.

This explains why I often stare out into space as I walk through the seemingly repetitive corridors of these soulless places. Somewhere within all that sameness lies a worthwhile image. Hmm, on second thought, maybe I'm not just talking about malls.

I liked the simplicity of this composition, and the juxtaposition of the sun and a lightbulb. I hope you do, too. And I hope this plants a seed in all of us to look up, and to look deeper.

Your turn: A typical scene from a mall is...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture Carmi. I am always pleasantly surprised when I finally look up and snap a shot. They have been some of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

...something I dream about as we don't have malls in Japan, and I miss them!

Michele says hi...and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Its always great to look up. There's a children's author (Enid Blyton) who would often hide her children in trees when they were trying to 'escape' an adult's gaze because 'Adults don't look up'.

So good on ya!

Safe driving today, rashbre

Anonymous said...

Oops I should have said - Hiya, Michele sent me!

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over for the first time this weekend, Carmi. I suspect it won't be the last time!

I rarely go into malls though I did buy a pair of earrings in a store this past month that was attached to a mall. I never went into the mall itself but just being in the parking lot almost gave me hives! LOL Can one be allergic to malls?

kenju said...

Carmi, your first commenter (Anna) also looks up. Her photos are inspiring too. I really do think you (and Anna) have the souls of artists not so deep inside you. I like the composition of this one.

Michele sent me this morning.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I've stopped by here two or three times, and that photo has a different look - a different personality almost - every time. Odd, really.

To finish your sentence,

A typical scene from a mall is... RARE! I hate shopping.

Mike

Snaggle Tooth said...

I haven't been to a mall in about 2 years! Hard to believe isin't it? My oldest grandson was in a small stroller, now he's 3-
Maybe that should be a 2007 resolution, also- make a note: Go to the Mall with a cam... Try not to make folks angry thinking you want to take their pic without permission...
Oh yeah, look up, shorty!

I do like the comp, color, n light of this shot-

utenzi - I have severe allergies, n I have reactions when in there, mostly from fragrances, so yes, -but not usually from the parking lot! Anxiety has it's effects, also-

mattviews said...

A typical scene from a mall is a curious undertow of male-female segregation: Boyfriends and husbands sitting on one of the pews, guarding their bags of loot, taking a ten-minute nap and just insouciantly watching people go by. Girlfriends and wives are rummaging through the racks with a mindful picture matching new outfits.

Anonymous said...

(Sarch decides to start looking up....and carrying his digital camera in the truck)

srp said...

I've always loved the malls with ice skating rinks in them.. In fact, I took ice skating lessons in one such rink in Dallas, Texas while in pathology residency. But, if not a rink then a carousel... yes, that makes a mall.