Monday, January 22, 2007

Tea time in Toronto


Reflective teapot
Toronto, Ontario, January 2007

I think I've figured out the trick to the artistic photography thing: the key is to be always on. To that end, I constantly find myself looking at the world around me as though it's framed in a viewfinder. I wonder what a given scene would look like if I shot it. I wonder who would be interested in sharing the scene with me. I wonder what memories it might trigger years later.

So when I'm chatting with friends and spot a rather large spot of tea on their kitchen counter, I sometimes find myself wanting to capture a surreal slice of that image. As I did here. Thankfully, they know me well enough to let me have free rein: Bless them. I hope you like it, too.

Your turn: Please click on this image to enlarge, then look deeply into it. What do you see?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful as always. I will never look at a pot of tea the same way again!

Anonymous said...

BTW, you dont have to post this but I went with the NIKON D50 again. I have always loved their cameras and I just feel I cant go wrong. I am so excited I can't wait. High resolution is back! :)

Anonymous said...

You sound a lot like me in the ways of thinking when looking at ordinary things around you. I always imagine them as photographs and just how can I capture what I am feeling? Sometimes I achieve it, other times I don't.

Great clear photo of the teapot. A happy, homey, warming picture...

Anonymous said...

cool... is it your kitchen sink?

Anonymous said...

cool! Is that your kitchen sink?

Spikey1 said...

Thanks for visiting..

Anonymous said...

I love that the items reflected are upside down; in true optic fashion. What dissapointed me was that I couldn't see you in the reflection. For years, I've looked at photos in magazines and searching for that one reflective place and then searching for those things that produced the photo: the mirrors, lights, flash reflectors, camera or the photographer. It's like seeing the unseen or the secret part of the photo. It's where the photo shows that it knows it's a photo, if that makes sense. It's kind of like when a cartoonist occasionally writes about the cartoon within the cartoon - the cartoon shows that it knows it's a cartoon. I don't know if that makes sense, but I've always appreciated when you can see layers of of something within itself. And that's how I saw your picture.

Oh, and what's the story behind the "closed" sign?

Anonymous said...

The reflection of the kitchen is nice but I can't get over just how cool looking the water level is in the enbiggened picture!

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi,

My wife and I just bought ourselves the Cannon S3 as an early anniversary present. Do you know anything about this camera?

kenju said...

Kitchen sink, paper towels, potted plant......a new perspective!

Anonymous said...

Must be smart friends -- it looks like they filter their (Lake Ontario) water with that extra tap.

Anonymous said...

Must be smart friends -- it looks like they filter their (Lake Ontario) water with that extra tap.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I see in the picture is MY teapot... :)

Dave