Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dangling in the wind


Waiting...
London, ON, April 2008 [Click to embiggen]


This shot is a nice counterpoint to this week's Caption This entry (click here if you haven't tossed yourself into the ring.) Unlike the first image, this one is anything but active. There's no munchkin, no movement, not much of anything, frankly. Just a forlorn swing, quietly drifting in the wind alongside its companions.

I could see the other parents giving me funny looks as I composed this one. Coincidentally, most of them also had cameras with them, and they were all busy taking pictures of their kids on the slide, on the jungle gym, or in the sand. They tried to avoid staring at the strange dude who had wandered to the empty swing set on the other side of the playground and was crouching in the sand pit for what seemed like an age.

I'm used to it by now.

Your turn: The first three words that come to mind when you initially see this picture are...?

15 comments:

Anna said...

I want to go swing now even though I am working! :) Thanks Carmi!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ouch, my bum.

Great photo :)

Holly Schwendiman said...

I love it. You keep going for those crazy looks because they bring the most thought provoking pictures!!

Hugs,
Holly

CAM said...

It's My Turn

Love the shot. My kids can swing for hours, it is one of their favorite things in the world. This shot makes me think of them fighting over the 1 working swing in our local park.

Robert said...

I love your commentary on how you composed this. And how others were watching you. It adds much to the image. As for the image itself, I really enjoy the composition; the blurred background; and the sharpness of the foreground. Well done.

Christine said...

One word popped into my head immediately - lonely. A swing without a child just seems sad somehow. Out my kitchen window I can see my kids' swingset, and I spent the winter watching those swings sit unused, getting buried in snow and whipped around by the wind. Now the sun is shining again and the swings are finally able to swing again! So much nicer to see!

Lee Ann said...

Oooone, twooo, threeee....JUMP!!!!

Anonymous said...

Butt cheek squeeze

Omykiss said...

ride 'em, cowboy ..

I'm still a bit self-conscious when using my camera ... I hope I'll get over it.

Anonymous said...

First, I just want to say I literally laughed out loud imagining myself as one of those people watching you take this shot. I probably would have stared too! Like a previous commenter said, I can be a bit self conscious when it comes to using my camera in public, so hopefully I'll get over that and be "lucky" enough to get stares in public!

The first three words that came to mind when I saw this picture:

World Without Children

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi!
The first three words that come to my mind are the same three that bubblehead said...
"It's my turn!"
These words are said in a sweet, excited child-like voice (because I am 6 years old again) of course!
Thanks for sharing this photo.
Terri

Jennifer said...

GREAT SHOT! I love it! it's one of those pix that is 'speaking to me'... not quite sure what it's saying and what it means.. but it's talking to me. i could see printing this and framing it. maybe it's the teacher in me but it just feels very symbolic to me.... thank you.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I used to love the swings!

I really appreciated your latest visit to my blog and especially what you wrote. Thanks so much Carmi.

me said...

I don't see loneliness, I see potential...

Want to play?

Anonymous said...

> The first three words...?

Waiting for Goliath.

Blur the background some more and it'll look to you like it did to me at first glance, what with my poor vision.