Sunday, February 08, 2009

Caption This 107


Please caption this image
Click here for Caption This instructions
Toronto, ON, January 2009 [Click to enlarge]

Quick note: As previously reported, I'm holding an exhibit of my photos at a local studio. It's called Photography For The Rest Of Us, and we're having a reception Monday night (Feb. 9) at ArtVenture (1438 Aldersbrook Road, London, ON) from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. ET. All are welcome...and my wife's bringing the food. If you're in London and have a hankering to see my work live, we'd love to have you!
I admit to being a little aggressive when I get a camera in my hand. To wit, I take pictures of homeless people. Probably not the prettiest pictures I can take. But my goal isn't to be pretty. I tell stories. And some of them are anything but pretty.

This picture of a homeless person is a little different in that it was taken not on a summery street in Montreal or a brutally hot sidewalk in Shanghai, but on a bitterly cold morning in Toronto. I'm not sure why, but bone chilling cold makes a sad scene like this seem so much sadder.

Your turn: Please suggest a caption for this photo. You can be as creative or witty as you wish, and you may suggest as many captions as you can come up with. Winner gets added to my new-and-improved blogroll. Everyone else gets my everlasting admiration.

About last week's image of a window: Lots of great creativity around this one. Honorable menschens go to:
  • Mystic Writer: "A lot of rock and a little blues."
  • Mojo: "Room with a blue."
  • Pamela: "With blue of heaven's own tinct. but my design." (Shakespeare)
  • Terri: "I Spy with my little eye..."
  • Moi: "Into the blue..."
  • Stephen: "The great blue ponder."
Colleen takes it this week with the delightfully simple "Blue view." Colleen's site, Loose Leaf Notes, has long been one of my favorite reads. She lives in a place, Floyd, Virginia, that just might be the friendliest place on planet. The way she writes about her community, it's no wonder anyone who visits her site wants to move there, too. Please drop by her blog and send her a happy.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do not think too much, the Zombag ladies can smell brains.

Zombags love brains !

Paris Hilton

Bobkat said...

Netchick sent me over to leave you a suitable caption but my mind is a blank!

I agree about using photography to tell a story - life isn't pretty and the lens shouldn't be rose tinted if life is to be captured by it.

Beverly said...

This isn't original with me, but I saw a touching picture of two homeless children once with the caption, "I have a home, I just don't have a house to put it in."

Maybe that could fit here. When it gets cold here in Florida, the shelters open for the homeless. I can't imagine what it must be like where it is so very cold.

awareness said...

Pavement of sorrow.

bitter reality

numbed

frigid fatigue

cold stares, freezing isolation

cold discomfort.

tears of ice.

ok....that's enough for now. I'm sinking into a frigging depression! this country should NOT have homeless people. Its absolutely beyond my comprehension. Unfortunately they have no voice with the big mucky mucks who run this place.

anita said...

how about

"urban turtle habitat"
please do not disturb nesting area

Anonymous said...

Green-Up Day: Everybody does it!

kenju said...

I can't think of anything, Carmi, it's toooooo sad, especially in the cold.

David Edward said...

going green in the city

Cloudia said...

Carmi, you are an honorable mensch-on ;-)

My caption?
"Oh! Canada?"

Pamela said...

Toronto's Green Bag Program

Anonymous said...

Primordial turtle sobbing.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Thanks for the shout out, Carmi.

All I can think of for this one is "Out of Luck Starbucks" or "Can you spare a Starbuck?"

Daryl said...

Bag it!

Sorry, that's the best I have this morning ..

photowannabe said...

Any of "Awareness"'s contributions seem perfect for this shot.
Very sad and very prevalent in every city.
Wishing you the best for your gallery showing tonight. I wish I could be there too.

Barbara said...

It's a sad photo, a cold picture, so I call it "Cold Indifference".

Anonymous said...

Not a very pretty story at all, but one that needs to be told.

Anonymous said...

I recognise her. That's Abigail Crosby, of Crosby, Stills , and Nash. Mortgage Investment Firm.
Apparently the Market has had a wee bit of a downturn.

Neil Young

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i just overheard a colleague saying today,"funny, how when one is into photography, everything becomes a photo-op!" it struck a chord somewhere and is still rankling a bit........
thank you for the honorable mention on the last one ......and congratulations and good luck as well on the exhibition, Carmi...I wish I lived somewhere closer to be able to make it there in person.....
for the current post, the captions that come to mind are:
"Oh, the humanity!!!"
"Not from around here, are you??!!!"

Hilary said...

Baggers can't be choosers.