Thursday, February 05, 2009

Working late. Here's why...

I played talking head again today. Research In Motion - the company that makes the BlackBerry - has been in the news a lot lately for a bunch of reasons. Today, the Ontario Securities Commission delivered its final ruling on who would be punished for a stock option backdating no-no, how much they would pay, and whether they'd be allowed to even keep their jobs.

Co-CEOs and company founders Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis are among a group of execs ordered to pay $77 million in fines and restitution. Big numbers for you and me, but chump change when you're billionaire founders of one of the world's top wireless companies.

The company also took another run at security vendor Certicom earlier this week, doubling its original offer and one-upping would-be suitor VeriSign. Today, Certicom said it liked the offer (well, wave enough money in front of me and I'd like it too, but I digress...), which leaves VeriSign until Feb. 11th to decide whether it wants to pay more to dance or go home empty-handed in dad's Dodge Aspen wagon.

In my humble view, Certicom's the real story here, as a successful buy sets RIM up quite nicely to control who in smartphoneland gains access to vital encryption technology. After all, you'd rather be a gatekeeper because you get to make the rules and keep everyone else's money.

Here's a quick peek at what I was up to today, and why I'm writing into the evening as a result:
Deadline looms. And I need to tuck in soon, as I'm doing another Tech Talk segment tomorrow morning on London's 'A' Morning with Cheryl Weedmark. So I need to finish this so I can get my wishful-beauty sleep. More soon...

Your turn: Pretty pictures will return imminently. In the meantime, feel free to explore some in the archives here, here, And even here, but only if you're really hungry.

9 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thanks for sharing your insight into the events of the day. You are a pundit? Cool! aloha-

Snaggle Tooth said...

Congrats on keeping so busy! Thanks for the update from the inside.

Anonymous said...

I found the RIM stuff really interesting today... Thanks for the other info! Wow, you've really been super busy lately with all the media! Awesome! :)

Off to visit some more MEET n' GREETers -- thanks for making it so fun every weekend!

Kevin said...

Looked good on BNN. The camera obviously likes you -- loved the tie, BTW.

I'm sort of (but not really) surprised Balsillie even made time to face the music up here, since he spends so much time playing the music down in Tennessee while trying to steal their hockey team.

Marion said...

You're good on camera...very comfortable with it! I've watched you over the years, and I think you're getting better and better!

Well done, Carmi...and thanks for the links!

craziequeen said...

Hey sweet man, you must know by now the Crazie One doesn't *do* techie stuff, but I always understand what you say. And you are so photogenic, the camera loves you - you look like the chap next door, reliable and friendly. You do interviews like you're just chatting over a cup of coffee!

I'm glad Netchick sent me today, 'Carmi Levy of AR Consulting' :-)

I'm proud to say I know you - you seem to be the 'Go To Man' when it comes to techie stuff.

cq

Anonymous said...

Hello, NetChick sent me here...

Anonymous said...

your enthusiasm and dedication are admirable. i wish i had the time or energy to devote to - anything, really.

keep it up!

Tony Gasbarro said...

WOW! You're, like, famous and stuff! And to think, you're one of my FB friends!

Didn't understand a thing you said on the teevee. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a blackberry isn't just a thing you pluck off of a bush and eat, staining your teeth.