Friday, February 27, 2009

Painted by winter


Drifted
London, ON, January 2009
About this photo: All week long, Thematic Photographic explores winter-themed images. If you've got something you'd like to share, head over here to get the ball rolling.
When auto manufacturers want to whet the public's appetite for an upcoming model, they sometimes leak early drawings online. They're often quite abstract, sometimes as simple as a bare-bones pencil sketch. This practice builds excitement (no Pontiac jokes, please) and gives everyone a sense of what's coming.

In this economy, one surmises they should be releasing zillions of these so-called teasers. But I digress.

After I had dropped the little folks off at school on a particularly wintry morning last month, I noticed this vehicle - an Acura RDX - and immediately thought back to those abstract, sketch-like drawings I'd seen online so many times before. It's nice to know Mother Nature can improve on the car designer's art.

Your turn: How nature paints a scene. Please discuss.

14 comments:

Jinksy said...

Varation on 'air brushing' or 'spray painting'?!

kenju said...

What I love to see is frost on window panes, making patterns. Since we have storm windows, I don't see that much anymore.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to photograph the way the morning sun kisses the trees. I'm somehow still coming up short, although I watch this magic happen several times each week.

I'm posting a T.P. Winter pic Thursday - Monday.

bobbie said...

Very nice photo. :0

I love it when Mother Nature sends just enough snow to tint the world, without submerging it under a deep blanket of snow so we can no longer make out details.

Daryl said...

A little heavy with ice there and her palette's limited ... LOL ... nice illustrative shot nevertheless ...

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with bobbie. These light-ish snowfalls are the most beautiful ones.

Here from Netchick.

Sleepypete said...

That snow-pic with my Focus kinda worked like that :-)

When there's enough snow on a car to give it about a 1 inch toupee, it hides all the lines that make the fine detail of what a car looks like. It smooths the image into the basic shapes, removing shutlines and contrasting colours from window edges.

(Bambi impressions post - 5th Feb)

Mojo said...

You want to see nature painting a scene check out any of my Sky Watch Friday posts. For that matter, check out anybody's Sky Watch Friday posts. There's a technique nature uses on that unblemished blue canvas that we can never replicate. And it's always new, always original.

Best of all it's free!

craziequeen said...

Now our snow has gone, Tanya sent me to look at yours...

Truth be told, it took me a while to recognise the shrouded suspect - but isn't that a reflection on life; one has to look under the skin to see the truth :-)

cq

Jennifer Priest Personal Coach said...

Hi! Netchick sent me.

Mother nature is so often awe inspiring to me. I kind of use it as a form of meditation. Whenever I am feeling out of sorts I take a few minutes and stop and focus on something simple in nature and become entranced by its beauty.

Since snow is sort of the theme here, I will say I like snow because it is bright and reflective. It's a fresh start.It gives us a chance to look at things from a different point of view and it is done so simply and effortlessly.

Sweetly said...

This is such an amazing shot!
It's amazing what mother nature does sometimes.
Love it!
-Sweetly

Mojo said...

Since I'm on kind of a roll with the whole "Winter" theme, I have a shrouded/outlined shot of my own to favor you with.

It was a good winter for photographs this year... but nothing like the year of Thematic Photographic 38: "Winter" v.3.0 "The Great Blizzard"

Glennis said...

Wow, it does look like spray-on flocking!!

Fun!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

The car looks like somebody has actually sprayed it with snow! :D